• CSX customers between Franklin and Mildord, Mass?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by stvigi

Can anyone tell me how many customers does CSX service between Franklin and Mildord, Mass?
It it just the glass company in Milford or are there others?

Thanks

Steve
  by jaymac

In a 2007 satellite photo, Google Earth shows covered hoppers at the Garelick Farms siding just past the Forge Park T terminus. Garelick blow-forms its own plastic bottles and jugs, so the covered hoppers are presumably for pellets. Further towards Milford is a lumber facility that was originally a Somerville (yeah, in Franklin -- go figure) Lumber warehouse in the 80's. The siding takes off from the main, but the warehouse tracks are covered, and no cars are visible.
Haven't been by there in a few years, so that's the best I can do.
  by QB 52.32

There's also Blue Lynx in Bellingham receiving lumber in boxcars and centerbeam flats and, IIRC, a box factory called JJ Folding Box down in Franklin (Franklin Jct.), which was operating and receiving pulpboard a few years back but might have closed since then.
  by Tracer

Pure speculation but I suspect the owner of the Grafton and Upton Railroad would love to grab these customers when they finish rebuilding the line to Milford.
  by stvigi

That is my thoughts exactly!

I couldn't see how the G+U could purchase 3 new locomotives (new for them) only to sustain an existing customer base.
It would make sense if they were negotiating w/ CSX for the line to Franklin, then they would have 3-5 regular customers and not the 1-2 they have now. Will it happen, who knows.

Steve
  by CSX Conductor

QB 52.32 wrote:There's also Blue Lynx in Bellingham receiving lumber in boxcars and centerbeam flats and, IIRC, a box factory called JJ Folding Box down in Franklin (Franklin Jct.), which was operating and receiving pulpboard a few years back but might have closed since then.
JJ's is on the Franklin Industrial, not the mainline between Franklin & Milford. Also on the Franklin Industrial used to be Franklin Groves as well as Ben Franklin Paint, which used to ship a tank car out once a year to prevent CSXT or MBCR from removing the switch. (MBCR maintains both the Franklin Industrial track and the main-line from Forge Park to Milford.