• CSX Boston Line Operations

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Patrick A.

Hello All,
My parents reside in Wilbraham, a suburb of Springfield and are aout a mile or two from the CSX Boston Line. Over the past few months, they have been hearing more freight activity and I told them I would do the best I could to find out why the higher volume of traffic was all about. Thanks guys for any responses.

by roberttosh

I am quite certain that there's no more activity on the B&A now than there was a few months back. Still the same 2 auto trains each way, 4-5 Intermodals each way and 4-5 general freights each way. Maybe there are more locals running out from Springfield to serve the Palmer interchange, but other than that, I'm not sure what else it would be??

by Patrick A.

They've been hearing what they say "more" activity at night now. They can set their watches they say for about 10-10:30PM and hear a train go by, followed by another at 11PM.

by johnpbarlow

Could be two reasons they hear more activity at night. One, there have likely been schedule snafus for eastbound intermodals and multilevels that come through the Buffalo area where there's been a fair amount of bad weather lately. Two, the nights have been quite cold lately, the air is denser and sound travels farther or louder before it attenuates.

by Patrick A.

OK guys thanks, also where do these locals originate and I assume their destinations are either Boston or Albany?

by CSX Conductor

Q115 is a westbound van train which runs M-Saturday and usually gets to West Springfield between 10001030PM.....Q117 runs 7 days a week and usually is about 30 to 45 minutes behind the Q115 getting to West Springfield.

There are a few locals out of West Springfield, but only one goes through Wilbraham enroute to Palmer. There is a Road job which originates in WEst Springfield and heads west to Selkirk, no locals go all the way. :wink: