• croxton yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by northjerseybuff

Does NS still plan to expand croxton yard-west of county rd? Or will they be using ERAIL and Port Newark more?
  by SecaucusJunction

If domestic intermodal is going to explode over the next few years like the AAR keeps telling me, it could probably use it... but I haven't heard anything recently.

It wouldn't surprise me to see most, if not all, international stacks moved out of there and going directly to port in the next few years.
  by anti-hammie

northjerseybuff wrote:Does NS still plan to expand croxton yard-west of county rd? Or will they be using ERAIL and Port Newark more?
There are no plans to expand anything at this time, not that they could being the Turnpike and Amtrak run right through the middle of the yard. The "New" yard just west of County Rd is used for the intermodal storage and regular freight also. As is there isn't much left of the international traffic in and out of Croxton. The night outbound 23Z has at most 4000' of international traffic and there's hardly any of it left on the inbound 24Z since they swapped the inbound traffic off that train from BN to UP.

In terms of international traffic out of Erail 25Z used to get a one or two car block for Harrisburg but the rest of the train was domestics. 23M handles most of the internationals out of the Port with a portion of their train originating from Staten Island (a CRSAA crew drops it off in the afternoon).
  by Steve F45

So what trains are assembled in Croxton besides the local freight for the BCL/MAIN/PVL?
  by SecaucusJunction

I believe the following trains originate or terminate in Croxton. This is from parailfan.com

20E, 20K, 20W, 211, 212, 213, 21M, 23Z, 24Z. I'm not sure if 290 still runs or not.

I'm not surprised most of the international traffic is originating/terminating at port or E-rail now. It's got to save a lot of money over local truck drayage. Unfortunately NS still lags far behind in that area to both CSX and the highways in NJ. It does not look like ExpressRail and the Bergen Tunnel clearances are having the desired effect that most people were hoping it would... at least not right now. As far as I know, the only real trains NS has with mostly international traffic are 22V/25V and 23M.

Imagine what things would be like on the Lehigh Line if NS didn't have the JB Hunt contract.......
  by OCtrainguy

Steve F45 wrote:So what trains are assembled in Croxton besides the local freight for the BCL/MAIN/PVL?
Related to the local freight, are they still working the Bergen/Main and PVL during the day?