• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Approaching Miller Rd 9:24 PM
  by Bracdude181

SA38 took the train back last night. Talked to the crew and they couldn’t find a 38 last week, hence the Friday afternoon run.
  by Bracdude181

Just curious, would anyone know what the height limit is for freight cars between South Amboy and Perth Amboy? I’m doing some research and I haven’t been able to find the answer to this question on any sort of documentation anywhere.
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:13 pm Just curious, would anyone know what the height limit is for freight cars between South Amboy and Perth Amboy? I’m doing some research and I haven’t been able to find the answer to this question on any sort of documentation anywhere.
I don’t know but they can’t obviously be higher than the catenary lines. There is a height detector near Port Reading Yard at CP-Ron or MP 11.9 on the Garden State Secondary.
  by Bracdude181

@NJTMonmouthCoastLine I know about that detector. I know they can’t bring Plate F. Typically they only ever bring Plate E cars that are only a tad taller than the usual Plate C cars we see lots of. Wondering what the upper limit is...
  by Coast Line Railfan

OI-16 took the train north from Red Bank around 3 PM.
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Coast Line Railfan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:15 pm OI-16 took the train north from Red Bank around 3 PM.
Huh? I don't think it would be under OI-16. Also you maybe right about a train in Red Bank as I picked up a HOT/EOT device via my scanner around noon.

It may have been a SA-31 or an extra crew & defiantly not OI-16. Would like to see proof about OI-16 in Red Bank but I highly doubt it
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

So it turns out that OI-16 did ran.

Basically SA-38 did run last night but had an issue so they tied it down in Red Bank.

The crew of OI-16 pick up SA-38 with 4452 LHF with 8 cars back to Browns.

No they didn’t use OI-16 power as it was in Browns

They went OD at 14:30
  by Bracdude181

An issue with the train forced them to tie down in Red Bank? Hopefully that means 4452 is going away for a LONG time. Tired of seeing that smelly broken POS engine.

I’d like to see CSX 4428 or 4419 (YN2 Paint) down here.
  by Bracdude181

Anyone know what the deal is with all the construction markings showing up along the Southern at Asbury Rd and points south, and the many markings showing up along the Freehold to Farmingdale ROW???

The markings are mostly noting the location of AT&T underground wire, but there’s also pink markings in spots, meaning a survey has taken place...
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

So it’s snowing today or raining in certain areas of the state.

But I wonder if 31 will still do their locals today. But there might be no OI-16 today due to NJT shutting down for the storm.

If that’s the case there’s going to be a backlog at Browns.
  by Bracdude181

Conrail has run in worse weather than this, and there’s nothing about delays from the current website on their website. Pretty sure they will run their other stuff today.
  by Bracdude181

Actually, I just remembered something.

Conrail will run a light engine extra to clear snow if they have to. Maybe we will see that after the storm ends.
  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:17 pm Actually, I just remembered something.

Conrail will run a light engine extra to clear snow if they have to. Maybe we will see that after the storm ends.
There's high probability of that as any thing north of I-195 got 8" or more. Saw a report of Matawan at 2pm had 14" and still coming down hard.
  by Bracdude181

@R&DB Cool. We will have to keep our eyes out for that though. Never know when exactly they will run, but it’s usually after a storm ends, so maybe Wednesday.