• CP line from Norton to Chipman, NB

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by trainsinmaine

I have a friend from Chipman, New Brunswick who claims that the old CP line from Norton to Chipman was narrow gauge. I know that the branch saw one of the last, if not the very last, regularly-scheduled steam train operations on the entire railway system, but from what I know of NB rail history it was not a narrow gauge line at least in its latter years. Am I correct on this or not?
  by jwhite07

It may have been, if the line were once part of the original New Brunswick Railway (I do not know if it was). The New Brunswick Railway was a 42-inch gauge railway built in the 1870s, but converted to standard gauge less than a decade later.