• Cover Letters?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Luther Brefo

How does one write a cover letter? What is the purpose behind and a cover letter and what makes a good cover letter a good cover letter?

Thanks.

by washingtonsecondary

A cover letter is an introduction and usually a brief explination (And I do mean brief) as to why you think you would make a good hire.

Like I said, make it brief, HR people have hundreds of these things to read, and if they see the preamble to the Constitution, they'll pass right away.

by SlowFreight

When I write cover letters, they're ALWAYS tailored to the specific firm or job I'm applying to. Usually, my resume is as well because I like to keep it relevant.

You can probably find a number of good templates online, either through places like monster.com or university coop/job placement web sites. Regardless, it should quickly identify what job you are applying for, your qualifications, and the timetable on which you can start; if you're in school, for example, you may indicate that after XXX date, you will be available to start.

Likewise, if you've had any contact (hopefully good) with the person to whom you are writing, you might reference that "we spoke at XXX on XX date."

The whole thing should be maybe two full paragraphs and an extra line or so. But by far, the MOST important thing I can say for resumes and cover letters is that they be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO grammar or spelling mistakes, because if the HR weenie (and most of them are weenies) happens to spell or write better than you, they can often use that as a reason to throw you out.

Actually, as a reference, this answer to your post is too long for most cover letters :wink:

Since you didn't mention what kinds of jobs you're applying for or what your qualifications are, I can't give any more specific feedback--mebbe you've got family or friends who can look over your letter and resume?

Good luck!

by Otto Vondrak

Introduce yourself, why you would be a good addition to the team, but dont rehash your resume. Close with something like, "I look forward to talking with you soon to review my qualifications."

-otto-

by GOLDEN-ARM

I don't want to throw a wet towel on this, but when I am hiring/interviewing for positions on train crews, I toss the cover letter, and usually the goals/achievements pages. Too much fluff, blowing of ones own horn, and other useless trivia. I want to know where you worked, what you did, and why you left. Your hobbies, interests and other personal info are not helpful to me, at this time. If you make it to interview, I will inquire, if it is relevent. If you were to ask most HR interviewers, you would probably get a similar sentiment. Spend the extra time, and words, detailing your responsibilities at your job, and where you have been, relative to the work you did. I have put dozens of men to work, and I was never impressed by that cover letter. (like I said, it usually isn't even read. ) A brief intro, and a solid account of your work history, and skills, without "forgetting" that time you were fired, or overstating your "importance" to the team (we are all important, on the job, and if you were that "special", you probably would have been picked for a managers position, or something similar) Be frank, honest and don't embellish. That goes a lot farther, than some "fancy" cover letter. Regards :wink:

Oh yeah, Good Luck with that interview!!! :-D
  by jg greenwood

lutherkb wrote:How does one write a cover letter? What is the purpose behind and a cover letter and what makes a good cover letter a good cover letter?

Thanks.
www.knockemdead.com