• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

Maybe PAR will tire of maintaining their last two GP9s and CRSX can grab 'em. :wink:

(DB equipment has been removed from both of those but it wouldn't be impossible to reinstall)
  by gokeefe

MEC407 wrote:Maybe PAR will tire of maintaining their last two GP9s and CRSX can grab 'em. :wink:

(DB equipment has been removed from both of those but it wouldn't be impossible to reinstall)
Good point! What about 573? Does that unit have dynamics? I'm guessing not....
  by MEC407

Nope, built without DB.
  by BOMX1200

However, dynamics on early GPs are not what they call Extended Range Dynamics. Extended Range versions are good for speeds down to a crawl, while the earlier dynamics on GP7s and GP9s are only useful at speeds over 25mph.
  by MEC407

I had a nice ride last night on the sunset train to Bartlett aboard the dining car Chocorua. The sun was already setting when I arrived at 5:30 for the 6pm train, but I managed to grab a few quick snapshots before boarding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MEC407

Continued:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MEC407

Last one:
  by RRFAN

For autumn express what locomotives are being used for this event? Previous pictures showed 252 and 4266.
  by ericofmaine

RRFAN wrote:For autumn express what locomotives are being used for this event? Previous pictures showed 252 and 4266.
I can't speak for the Autumn Express, but that's the motive power we typically have for the 470 trip. I'll be interested to see if that's what we have tomorrow or if, as has been reported earlier, they'll put 216 and 252 together to have the extra dynamic capacity with now 9 cars.

Eric
  by gokeefe

I would note that if CSRX is already capable of selling out 9 car trains on a regular basis then the question that comes to mind is, "What's next?"

What would need to happen in order for CSRX to be able to add on additional capacity?

#573 seems to be an obvious potential candidate for restoring dynamic brakes (but perhaps not?).

Does CSRX have another car that could be used in Notch Train service?

I would also be interested in seeing the full listing of the 9 car consist. I'm a little foggy on exactly which cars this does or does not include (Gertrude Emma comes to mind in particular).
  by ericofmaine

gokeefe wrote:I would note that if CSRX is already capable of selling out 9 car trains on a regular basis then the question that comes to mind is, "What's next?"

What would need to happen in order for CSRX to be able to add on additional capacity?

#573 seems to be an obvious potential candidate for restoring dynamic brakes (but perhaps not?).

Does CSRX have another car that could be used in Notch Train service?

I would also be interested in seeing the full listing of the 9 car consist. I'm a little foggy on exactly which cars this does or does not include (Gertrude Emma comes to mind in particular).
A Couple of things, George. The 573 never had dynamics, so restoring wouldn't be feasible.

On Saturday, we had the Hattie Evans (diner), CP Reed (1st Class), Dorthea Mae (dome), three of the Mt. Series (the new chair car and 2 coaches) and the open car. I know there was still one more coach on the roundhouse lead, but for the life of me can't think of what #9 would be. It wouldn't be the Gertrude as its a wooden frame and friction bearings. The Chocura, perhaps?

Eric
  by MEC407

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if they had a train that required a third locomotive for hauling power, the dynamic braking capability of 216 and 252 would still be adequate for such a train, yes?

But I also find it hard to believe that they'd be able to put together a train that 216 and 252 weren't powerful enough to haul. We're talking about full size roadswitchers with a combined 4500 horsepower, on a railroad whose speeds don't exceed 30 MPH. Why would a third unit be needed under current or near-future circumstances?

Edit: I scrolled back and saw the post about the dynamics being maxed out on a 9-car train. I'm sure that's true if Paul says so, but it's also good to remember that dynamic brakes are meant to supplement, not replace, the regular brakes. It seems to me that adding a third unit for additional dynamic braking capacity would increase fuel usage to a point that would significantly outweigh the cost savings of having to replace worn brake shoes less frequently.
  by BandA

So dynamic braking uses the traction motors, but provides less power in braking than propulsion. How do other railroads in mountainous areas address this?

Does keeping the air brakes in reserve maintain a stronger safety factor? Stuff I imagine they take seriously in the White Mountains.
  by drvmusic

BandA wrote:So dynamic braking uses the traction motors, but provides less power in braking than propulsion. How do other railroads in mountainous areas address this?

Does keeping the air brakes in reserve maintain a stronger safety factor? Stuff I imagine they take seriously in the White Mountains.
I'm glad this conversation is happening because I'm a fan/buff, and don't have a lot of technical knowledge. I'm hoping to figure out just what "dynamic brakes" are :-)