• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Reader#108

Mr. Piche is correct.............read his post above for the Form 4 rebuild.

The boiler will not be taken off of the frame.

She will not leave North Conway to have the work done.

It even says in this years brochure, they are waiting for a waiver. If the waiver is granted then she will run on the RR birthday week,
the fall schedule, some Polar and another Steam In Snow..........

No waiver.......the work will begin anew........and see you in a couple of years.

Stay tuned to their FB page.....they are extremely transparent about the operation and will keep you informed.
  by Dick H

Conway Scenic RR has advised that Thomas has arrived at North Conway.
However, he is resting out of sight in the engine house until his outings
begin on July 11th.
  by b&m 1566

Dick H wrote:Conway Scenic RR has advised that Thomas has arrived at North Conway.
begin on July 11th.
With Thomas Land set to open up at Edaville next year; I'll be curious to know if this will hurt the touring Thomas events in New England. One would think North Conway and Carver are far enough away but we shall see.
  by Mikejf

From what I hear it already has. No Thomas for the mid-coast Maine area. Two foot Thomas is not traveling.
  by drvmusic

b&m 1566 wrote:
Dick H wrote:Conway Scenic RR has advised that Thomas has arrived at North Conway.
begin on July 11th.
With Thomas Land set to open up at Edaville next year; I'll be curious to know if this will hurt the touring Thomas events in New England. One would think North Conway and Carver are far enough away but we shall see.
I think they can survive together. They are quite far apart! I hope so. I'm glad Edaville is growing again and I love the CSRR, so I want to see them thrive. I think Edaville is more of a "locals and the outskirts" destination while CSRR sees a lot of tourists from all over, not to mention the leaf peepers.
  by b&m 1566

I've never attended a Thomas event, so I don't have any idea just who attends the events. With Thomas touring most parts of the country and even other countries, I have a hard time believing the Thomas event is a destination draw outside of local. People outside the local area that do attend are probably at the right place at the right time.
  by sully

b&m 1566 wrote:I've never attended a Thomas event, so I don't have any idea just who attends the events. With Thomas touring most parts of the country and even other countries, I have a hard time believing the Thomas event is a destination draw outside of local. People outside the local area that do attend are probably at the right place at the right time.
A few friends and I were up at North Conway on Friday and I gotta tell ya the CSRX was PACKED with kids with thomas balloons, shorts, t-shirts, temp tattoos. As a 90's Thomas fan I am furious that I was screwed out of all this fun hahaha. They absolutely draw a crowd for this event and it is not right place at the right time.
  by artman

b&m 1566 wrote:I've never attended a Thomas event, so I don't have any idea just who attends the events. With Thomas touring most parts of the country and even other countries, I have a hard time believing the Thomas event is a destination draw outside of local. People outside the local area that do attend are probably at the right place at the right time.
I think you would be surprised, Thomas casts a wide net. We drove from Southern Maine to attend this Thomas event. Most of the names on the guest book in the model railroad museum inside the event were from northern MA, southern ME and southern NH. Guess it depends what you mean by 'local'.

A few years ago, my nephew came up from NY to attend a Thomas event at the Narrow Gauge Railway in Portland. People travel for Thomas.
  by superwarp1

Just read in in Trains Mag that Conway did get a six month extension on 7470 as stated above. Only thing stopping her now it hot bearings/axles that has been plaguing her of late.
  by drvmusic

I am a long-time fan of Conway Scenic. I got to ride the Valley (Bartlett) Train last week with my sons and we had a wonderful ride! Everything looks, sounds, runs fantastic!

I came away with a couple of questions/comments:

- What happened to 4266? I asked around and only heard that it is in the shed. I was disappointed not to see it, but still enjoyed seeing everything else. I heard something about damage on the last trip it was on.

- Lots of credit to those who do the upkeep! Everything along the entire route looked and felt fantastic! Rode on the Presidential Range. Always loved that car :-)

- My only complaint... my daughter was looking at some pens in the gift shop. She wasn't doing anything destructive, just clicking one of them and looking at it. I was keeping a close eye on all of my kids to make sure they were acting appropriately. Someone who works there walked by her on the way to a back room and said in a not-so-nice voice, "don't play with it unless you expect to buy it." Seriously?!?! She was embarrassed, and had no need to be. She was only looking at the pens for crying out loud! No need to treat a kid like that. If she was being destructive with it, I would have understood, but she wasn't.

- I love the constant switching around of the motive power. Makes for many different, and great, photo ops. I like that you are allowed to walk around the yard and check out everything up close.

- Anyone know what's going on with 1757/4268?
  by #7470

drvmusic wrote:I am a long-time fan of Conway Scenic. I got to ride the Valley (Bartlett) Train last week with my sons and we had a wonderful ride! Everything looks, sounds, runs fantastic!

I came away with a couple of questions/comments:

- What happened to 4266? I asked around and only heard that it is in the shed. I was disappointed not to see it, but still enjoyed seeing everything else. I heard something about damage on the last trip it was on.

- Lots of credit to those who do the upkeep! Everything along the entire route looked and felt fantastic! Rode on the Presidential Range. Always loved that car :-)

- My only complaint... my daughter was looking at some pens in the gift shop. She wasn't doing anything destructive, just clicking one of them and looking at it. I was keeping a close eye on all of my kids to make sure they were acting appropriately. Someone who works there walked by her on the way to a back room and said in a not-so-nice voice, "don't play with it unless you expect to buy it." Seriously?!?! She was embarrassed, and had no need to be. She was only looking at the pens for crying out loud! No need to treat a kid like that. If she was being destructive with it, I would have understood, but she wasn't.

- I love the constant switching around of the motive power. Makes for many different, and great, photo ops. I like that you are allowed to walk around the yard and check out everything up close.

- Anyone know what's going on with 1757/4268?
Hi drvmusic,

To answer your questions, there is nothing wrong with the 4266 and she wasn't damaged. When she ran the summer special with 7470 we discovered that she needed some new valve cover gaskets which have since been installed. We still need to work on adjusting her injectors and we're doing that in our spare time. My buddy and I will probably spend a couple of Saturday nights after work on this but we won't be needing her again until railfans weekend. The 6749 car is our top priority in the roundhouse right now.

Regarding the 470 units 4268 and 1757; we don't own these units so I'm not sure when the work will be done. 1757 does run and is currently tucked away on the freight house siding track with stack covers on her prime mover will be in good shape when the 470 RR Club decides to do the swap.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the gift shop but I am glad the day was great otherwise.

Matt