• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by steam1246

Pictures posted on RailPictures show nos. 4266 and 573 on a short freight consist--the same cars used last year behind #7470. No sign of double B&M A-units. According to the CSRR website, Sunday's "photographers special" through the Notch is sold out--big bucks for one or two runbys with #4266 on the point of what amounts to an extra Sunday edition of the Notch train.
  by NHV 669

According to the site, the Mountaineer will continue to Fabyans starting 9/14. However, given that they aren't currently running it on Monday, the first train to Fabyans would be Tuesday the 15th. The Rhonda Lee (whole car) and Dorthea Mae (upper dome) are already sold out for that train. It appear's today's Sunday extra is still showing an 11:30am boarding time, so yes, basically the normal train at the normal time with a longer travel duration for the runbys.
  by NHV 669

Left the house late, but ended up beating the Sunday Special to Glen Ellis Campground, and got a quick shot there:
https://youtu.be/UsfhkJIuhUA

Love the A200 on 4266, I guess I've never heard it before. Stopped at Roger's Crossing and then went straight for the Frankenstein trestle. Traffic was definitely way down this year, especially with a lack of steam. I was the only one to gas myself hiking up to the rocks opposite the trestle, only to find out they would drop folks off for the first photo runby there. The second one was at the Willey Brook bridge, they had yet to pass by before I drove by headed back home.
  by b&m 1566

I wonder if the open air cars will be placed on both train for the fall foliage this year. I know they've been sidelined because of Covid. Any word about Johnny Apple Seed Express or the Pumpkin Patch Express? I'm hearing the Valley Railroad, canceled all their events the rest of the year, makes you wonder if the railroads up around here will be doing the same.
  by backroadrails

By the sounds the 252 will be down for the rest of the season. It had a major mechanical failure on the Mountaineer at the end of august, and required the 216 to rescue it. From what I have read in comments on YouTube, the unit either blew the crankshaft, or had a mechanical failure with one of the connecting rods, but either way I speculate it will result in the unit being sent out for repair.
  by b&m 1566

I'm not a mechanic but I gather that type of mechanical failure spells the end for that 645. I wonder if there's other decent 645's sitting in storage someplace, that could be shipped to the Conway Scenic?
  by MEC407

Used and/or rebuilt 645s are still plentiful and can be shipped pretty much anywhere. They're not inexpensive, mind you, but they are readily available.

It might be possible to buy one from Pan Am, depending on what they've got kicking around in the dead line or the parts room these days. PAR's 645s are turbocharged, but the turbo can be removed and 252's Roots blower can be installed in place of the turbo.
  by gokeefe

CSRR573 wrote:The Notch claims another one
Even more classic that it happened up there on "home" rails for #252. Not exactly adding anything to the legend if the engine breaks down in the Yard. The fight will go on ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by p42thedowneaster

Ah well, 252 had a good run! My thought would be to clean her up and put it in storage until the right EMD 645 comes along. In the mean time, I'm thinking a GP40 would be an awesome fit for the notch. There you have the turbo of the GP35, but with better wiring (and somehow less weight?)

I would never advocate to get rid of 252...clearly 7470, 573, 4266, 4268, 501, and 252 have a special place at N. Conway. But like 501 and 4268, even when inoperable they still were well loved parts of the collection.
  by CSRR573

p42thedowneaster wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:01 pm
I would never advocate to get rid of 252...clearly 7470, 573, 4266, 4268, 501, and 252 have a special place at N. Conway. But like 501 and 4268, even when inoperable they still were well loved parts of the collection.
My thoughts too, I would hate to see the 252 end up the way of 2820. Hopefully it significance to the region save it. Although im sure only us railfans care about its connection to the region
  by highrail

Yesterday, when in the area, I noticed the 252 behind the roundhouse and wondered what the conditions was. In terms of adding it to the "collection," my observation is that they do not have a great deal of extra space. The yard is pretty well full as it is. (There is a wrapped coach stuffed behind the 252) Given the need to have operating equipment to generate revenue in order to survive, I would not be surprised to see some hard decisions made on thinning the non-operative equipment. The expansion of track space at the North Conway yard seems impractical. There was some earlier discussion about an expanded use at the Conway site...I wonder if that might include some additional holding tracks. This has been a tough year for everyone, I am thrilled that they are able to run at all this year.

Steve
  by MEC407

Regarding 252: in the worst case scenario that it needs a new engine, used 645s are not hard to find, and it would make more sense (on a variety of levels) to replace 252's 645 than to buy a whole locomotive and put 252 out to pasture.

I suspect this will be a case of, to quote Mark Twain, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
  by gokeefe

CSRR573 wrote:Although im sure only us railfans care about its connection to the region
I do not believe that to be the case. Conway Scenic always seemed to consider #252s heritage to be very compelling to their story.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by b&m 1566

You should have seen the yard 10 to 15 years ago, there was no room back then and a lot of it was dead storage. Most of that has been shipped out but they also took in a lot of cars that were stored in Whitefield, those cars will be or already are serving a purpose. Box cars for added storage, hoppers to move ballast, flats and bulkheads to help move MOW equipment/supplies and last but not least the snowplow that they do use.
It will be interesting to see what happens with 252, my early money is on them keeping it and swapping out the the 645 right on property.