• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by p42thedowneaster

Back when the Cog was running their winter ski trains, I seem to remember them using a jet-powered snow blower!

In the end, (with today's new snow) I, of course agree they're smart to wait till spring, but it sure was a lot of effort to keep the line open as long as they did. It wasn't like the track had been totally abandoned since October. This car must be quite valuable and/or they have very exciting plans for it.
  by b&m 1566

One has to wonder why it took CSX so long to get the dome car into New England. Unless the Conway Scenic didn't want to receive the car until after the close of the season but to me that just doesn't make much sense.
  by NHV 669

BandA wrote:How did CSRX rerail their engine in this case? Only takes what, 6" of ice to derail?
Wood blocks resembling giant door stoppers. One of the plow crew was bringing them down before I left. Took them less than two hours, thankfully.
  by NHV 669

b&m 1566 wrote:Unless the Conway Scenic didn't want to receive the car until after the close of the season
The son of the seller wrote a public Facebook post on New Year's, indicating a bit of confusion as to why the Swirks had not yet received the car. The only thing holding them back was delivery to PAR/SLR/Groveton. This would have been a breeze otherwise, prior to recent bad weather.
  by b&m 1566

Yes, it seemed to have gotten hung up in Albany, NY and then again in Worcester for reasons unknown to me, I have no idea when it left California, but someone told me it took 6 weeks from the time in left California to arrive in Groveton, NH. If that's true clearly, they were expecting this car weeks ago, I can only imagen Mr. Swirk is a little upset by the set back. From what I gather he had his doubts about getting through the notch this time around given how the weather has gone from above freezing to below freezing, like a roller coaster ride (perfect ice building weather). His suspicions game true with that derailment.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Calebharris39

I heard 1751 is finally getting a new paint job. Is there any truth for her getting a new road number, #570 ?
  by NHV 669

b&m 1566 wrote:someone told me it took 6 weeks from the time in left California to arrive in Groveton, NH.
It took Amtrak 5 days to get it from LA to Albany (11/16 - 11/21), and about 4 for PAR/SLR between Ayer to Groveton, landing late evening on 1/4.

Do the math on that "precision railroading" by CSX to go less than 200 miles over the span of a month.
  by John Smythe

In my opinion CSRR should have utilized a group of workers with lots of 20 pounders of propane with flame-throwers, like the MBTA uses to thaw out frozen switches. They also should have had plenty of ice chippers / scrapers and plain old shovels for probing areas of suspect. The Russel Snow Plow should have been loaded up with scrap metal to weigh it down in front like they did in the old days. I read it time & time again in different books about running a train at least one or two times a day to keep a line open.

Give Veteran (now retired) CSRR Engineer Rudy Hood a chance to show everyone what he can do with whatever he needs to go all the way to Hazens & back. If Rudy can't do it then it can't be done.
Last edited by John Smythe on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by b&m 1566

Is the dome car sitting in Groveton still or has it been moved to New Hampshire Central's facility?
  by BandA

I know how hard it is to deal with 100' of driveway in the harsh winter! How much is it to store a car for the winter, or will they just do it as a favor?
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="NHV 669"][quote="b&m 1566"]someone told me it took 6 weeks from the time in left California to arrive in Groveton, NH. [/quote]

It took Amtrak 5 days to get it from LA to Albany (11/16 - 11/21), and about 4 for PAR/SLR between Ayer to Groveton, landing late evening on 1/4.

Do the math on that "precision railroading" by CSX to go less than 200 miles over the span of a month.[/quote]

Amtrak trains are fairly direct with a super tight (ok, tight-ish) schedule. Freight trains have to deal with more switching and moving around cars. Also it landed in CSX's lap right around the holiday season when I assume business is much, much slower.
  by NHV 669

St Lawrence & Atlantic moved the car 95 miles in 48 hours, PAR got it from Ayer to Danville in a similar timeframe. Let's not make excuses to defend poor management at a Class I.
  by John Smythe

Saw a photo of the #252 derailment up at Sawyers River " 4Th Iron ". With all the snow that's been falling up in The Notch I'd be having a pair of engines keeping the line cleared every day by making a complete R/T. The track crew would dig out the grade crossings, utilize propane flame throwers, spread ice melt where needed. They knew that the car was on the way & getting closer, why let snow get ahead of them? A days wages for a couple of train crew members & some supplies like fuel, dry sand, ice melt, flame throwers would surely cost less than a huge storage bill to keep the car safe till spring. Just my opinion.
  by b&m 1566

I would have to disagree John, it's clear this car was way over due by weeks, not days. To suggest that they operate an none revenue train daily for undisclosed amount of time, spend x amount of dollars on fuel, go out and purchase propane torches, ice picks and pay for a crew to keep the line open is not a sound business decision. They are trying to run a business and the owners sound like they know a thing or two, I'm sure they had a contingency plan in place especially at the first signs of delay by CSX.
  by John Smythe

How much would you care to estimate the storage bill will be if the car can not be brought in and we have a late ending winter that goes on & on ? Propane, torch kits, rock salt and ice choppers are cheap compared to storage fees & always the possibility of vandals raising Hell. Also I'm sure they planned on working on the car this winter to have it available for upcoming season, how much of a price tag is attached to that?