• Compiling a Map of All Yards and Common Eastern MA Runs

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by BostonUrbEx

Hey guys, hoping you all can help me out here.

For yards that Pan Am either owns or utilizes, I have the following:

AY
BA
BO
BK
DO
ED
FI
LA
MA
NA
NM
PO
RU
SE
WA
WJ

Is there any sort of classification for yards? I'm going to have an icon for each yard, preferably in 3 sizes representing a "major", "moderate", and "minor" yard based on how active a yard is or how much volume they receive. Speaking of minor yards, does the one in Salem, MA have a symbol?

And if I could get a list of common runs through Eastern MA (within MA borders and east of Ayer) that would be great. ie: POED/EDPO (not eastern MA specific, but it does run through eastern, MA).
  by jr145

I wouldn't consider the one in Salem a yard anymore, its pretty much just a runaround. And its known as the Danvers Industrial Branch.

Also if you want to consider Ayer part of it you have

AYMO/MOAY
AYWA/WAAY
POSE/SEPO
AYSE/SEAY (Rare)

Then there are:
DOBO
LAEV
NMSE
NMED

Then there is RJJC but thats pushing it, although it does run east of Ayer, but not by much.

I'm sure theres some I'm missing
  by newpylong

Major yards in the time table have their own pages with track diagrams.

If I remember, they were Deerfield, Ayer, Lawrence, Rigby and Waterville. Coulda been more, I forgot.
  by jr145

newpylong wrote:Major yards in the time table have their own pages with track diagrams.

If I remember, they were Deerfield, Ayer, Lawrence, Rigby and Waterville. Coulda been more, I forgot.

Old Town, Bucksport, Northern Maine JCT, Rileys, Rumford, Nashua, Fitchburg, Gardner, Plainville and Waterbury are also in the timetable. I wouldn't consider them all major though.
  by BostonUrbEx

jr145 wrote:I wouldn't consider the one in Salem a yard anymore, its pretty much just a runaround. And its known as the Danvers Industrial Branch.

Also if you want to consider Ayer part of it you have

AYMO/MOAY
AYWA/WAAY
POSE/SEPO
AYSE/SEAY (Rare)

Then there are:
DOBO
LAEV
NMSE
NMED

Then there is RJJC but thats pushing it, although it does run east of Ayer, but not by much.

I'm sure theres some I'm missing
Are all runs to Salem labeled LAEV? Upon reaching EV, does it change designations? Also, where is "EV"? Is it any one specific place? The scrap yard by the LNG terminal? The produce market? All of Everett?

Also, I'm going to guess there's a EVLA, SENM, and EDNM aswell? I know there's a BODO.

Also, does BODO take the same route as DOBO (Haverhill/Wouburn) or does BODO take the Haverhill/Reading route?
  by jr145

LAEV was created as a specialty train straight from Lawrence to Everett. Although they havent been getting as many scrap steel cars as they expected so a lot of times they do local work which is why you see them in salem a lot. When they do go to everett i dont believe that they change to EVLA. I don't believe there is an SENM, just SEPO. But there is an EDNM.

As far as DOBO goes, I believe they always use the haverhill line but I could be wrong.
  by Trinnau

EDNM/NMED haven't been running, they've been EDPO/POED.

No NMSE/SENM either, currently running as POSE/SEPO.

Don't forget about ED495/495ED and the local jobs out of Lawrence (LA1 and LA2).

That's until Pan Am decides to change the alphabet soup again.
  by roberttosh

What about AYWA/WAAY? Is that just another name for the SEPO/POSE CSXT jobs or does it specifically handle local traffic between the Maritimes/Maine and Eastern MA points such as the Wallboard and Sappi traffic that goes to Ayer, the CO2 that goes to Tewksbury, the Scrap Metal that goes to Everett, Wheat Midds from Ayer to Maine, etc?
  by jr145

roberttosh wrote:What about AYWA/WAAY? Is that just another name for the SEPO/POSE CSXT jobs or does it specifically handle local traffic between the Maritimes/Maine and Eastern MA points such as the Wallboard and Sappi traffic that goes to Ayer, the CO2 that goes to Tewksbury, the Scrap Metal that goes to Everett, Wheat Midds from Ayer to Maine, etc?

No AYWA/WAAY is its own job, separate from SEPO/POSE