• Codorus Creek Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by RockGp40

Has anybody heard anything about this? It looks like someone wants to resurrect parts of the old Northern Central.

http://www.codoruscreekrailway.com
  by NE2

My first thought was Mr. Riffin, but be doesn't seem to be involved. The latest news seems to have been in October 2008, and nothing has been filed with the STB. Did you try emailing them?
  by ztabel46

As a former York County resident and occasional Rail Trail user during that time, I wish these gentlemen the best of luck; I think they will need it. Judging by the internet comments posted on the news article discussing their plans to reinstate freight service, the key to the railroad getting its operations off the ground is winning the PR war that will most definitely ensue as it moves toward establishing service. The news article itself is no longer available, but the comments still are. See this link... http://www.topix.net/forum/source/york- ... AET1JGP0GA. Opponents of the railroad seem to have conjured up an image of the Transcon (and will continue to do so to try to enhance public opposition), as opposed to the Class III shortline operation proposed. The railroad must emphasize its actual scope and its very limited impact upon trail users (I suppose it's most heavily used on weekends, whereas freight service would probably take place on weekdays). At any rate, I imagine NIMBY groups coming out of the woodwork and very vocally opposing the project. The railroad and its promoters must properly frame this inevitable debate.

Also, I applaud the foresight of the railroad in raising the possibilities of future service expansions (i.e., excursion service, commuter service to York in conjunction with Modern Transit Partnership's efforts - if that ever happens, and the very long-term goal of reaching Hunt Valley/Baltimore). Again, at each step of the way, the railroad will undoubtedly encounter substantial resistance if and when it pursues each of these projects. It is unfortunate that people are resistant to such alternatives in the face of a currently strained I-83 corridor. I do not know who the railroad's prospective freight customers are, but having access to rail service may very well enable these businesses to increase output by having access to lower-cost delivery of greater quantities of raw materials and shipping of finished products, and as a result, employ more people. Another benefit offered to businesses here is the ready access to both CSX and NS, via YKR, which provides these businesses with a another competitive means of delivering their products to customers.

At any rate, I hope that this operation gets off the ground. It would be a shame to see this infrastructure go to waste.

Z
  by BaltOhio

I think NIMYs are the least of their problems. Whatever freight traffic existed on that line has long ago dried up, and it will take a long-term effort to get new rail-oriented businesses established. I recall that when the Stewartstown operated the line, there was just one customer, which was located at New Freedom, and this customer generated maybe two carloads a week. That's not to say that there isn't potential. Over the past 20 years or so, the once-small southern York County towns have rapidly grown as bedroom communities for Baltimore and, the current hard times aside, the area would seem to be good for rail-oriented distribution centers of various types.

South of New Freedom seems hopeless. There's no freight-generating industry whatever between New Freedom and Baltimore's northern suburbs, nor is there potential for any. The Baltimore end of the route is now occupied by the light rail rapid transit line, and although there was some freight in the Timonium-Hunt Valley area once served (at night) by NS, the MTA has effectively shut down this operation with NS's agreement. York and Baltimore are already linked by the ex-Western Maryland lines (now CSXT and York Railroad), which handle whatever through traffic exists.
  by ztabel46

BaltOhio - my assumption in posting was that if these gentlemen are holding themselves out as a railroad making preparations to establish freight service, they had probably already done the requisite feasibility investigation to determine whether there is a sufficient number of interested customers to sustain service. I assumed that they had determined that they cleared that hurdle on their own. I do not know much about what businesses in southern York County are candidates for service, but I suppose something has to have changed since the last operator of the line ceased its operations, in order to give rise to this new interest.

Z
  by RailVet

An article in an August 2007 edition of the York newspaper read, "Money is a challenge. Fixing the lines from Stewartstown to York would cost $13 million to $15 million... Codorus Creek would seek state and federal funds and loans to cover the cost." A year later another article stated, "Even Codorus Creek Railway's initial venture faces big challenges. The existing rail line in York County requires millions of dollars in upgrades, money Kress hopes to raise from state and federal sources... Kress said he also is still searching for $750,000 in private investment."

The feds and the state of PA aren't exactly awash in extra dollars these days (far from it), so this project is likely to be a non-starter simply for lack of available outside funding.
  by nomis

Cross posting from NJT Forum : Purchase of Comet I's

03/18/11 02:00 Offers Due: Sale of Eleven (11) Comet 1 Passenger Rail Cars and Parts No Fee***To obtain additional information regarding the condition of the equipment, please contact ((Name blank)) ***Information about parts please contact ((Name Blank))***Site Visit information please contact ((Name Blank)) SOP 11-003-3203

And the purchaser:
Codorus Creek Railway Co.-Railway, PA $225,001.00
  by jrevans

Codorus Creek Railway has a facebook page with updated info:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Codor ... 5035034088

Supposedly CCR has entered into a partnership with Railmark who will supply locomotives, cars, and track rebuilding support.

Interesting.
  by trainman4988

nomis wrote:Cross posting from NJT Forum : Purchase of Comet I's

03/18/11 02:00 Offers Due: Sale of Eleven (11) Comet 1 Passenger Rail Cars and Parts No Fee***To obtain additional information regarding the condition of the equipment, please contact ((Name blank)) ***Information about parts please contact ((Name Blank))***Site Visit information please contact ((Name Blank)) SOP 11-003-3203

And the purchaser:
Codorus Creek Railway Co.-Railway, PA $225,001.00

Thanks for the interest in the coaches we are buying. There numbers are;
Cab Cars 5105, 5108, 5129
Coaches 5707, 5714, 5715, 5717, 5721, 5731, 5733, and 5743. Cars are in good shape, but they do need work. We were lucky to get them. Any other questions?

CCRwy
  by GP30 5513

I do have a question. Is there a possibility of regular/sporadic excursion rail service in York County again?
  by trainman4988

GP30 5513 wrote:I do have a question. Is there a possibility of regular/sporadic excursion rail service in York County again?
That is our intention, we intend on offering excursion trains from New Freedom to York in 2012. We are currently in the process of acquiring the railroad and then we need to rebuild the line. The best place to watch for updates is
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Codor ... 88?sk=wall we update it on a regular basis.

CCRwy
  by GP30 5513

Alright then I'll keep watching that page!