• CNZR - Armory Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by FLRailFan1

RonM wrote:The private crossing at Enfield Transit Mix (South of there, parallel to Broad Brook Road/191) is still out of service so it will be awhile before they are able cross 190 with a train from my observations going by there yesterday.

What would be north of there?? Could East Windsor create an industrial park...could Enfield?
  by Larry

I was over in South Windsor CT on Friday the 23rd and I saw CSO coming southbound on Armory branch and it had 11 cars in tow. This was quite large for this train so I was excited to see it. Today though, August 26 on the Griffin Line over in Bloomfield I saw CNZR towing 18 cars to Home Depot. 18 cars is the most I have ever seen but maybe someone can remember another time there was more? So great to see these many cars on these two lines as the norm is usually about 5 or six tops.
  by bwparker1

Larry wrote:I was over in South Windsor CT on Friday the 23rd and I saw CSO coming southbound on Armory branch and it had 11 cars in tow. This was quite large for this train so I was excited to see it. Today though, August 26 on the Griffin Line over in Bloomfield I saw CNZR towing 18 cars to Home Depot. 18 cars is the most I have ever seen but maybe someone can remember another time there was more? So great to see these many cars on these two lines as the norm is usually about 5 or six tops.
Does anyone know why the Griffin line stayed intact when the rest of the old Central New England gave up the ghost in the 1930's/1940's. I am assuming that the Home Depot Warehouse wasn't built until the 1980's at the earliest... What kept the line in business that long, what was the source of revenue, or why did it stay preserved until Home Depot came online?

- BWP
  by jaymac

Per the 1995 edition of Ronald Dale Karr's The Rail Lines of Southern New England: A Handbook of Railroad History, the line had been repaired by the state in 1994 for reopening in 1995, following an OOS period preceded by B&M operation as a hiree of the state. The line had seen thrice-weekly service in the PC period, and the USRA recommended against Conrail inclusion. Shippers objected, and inclusion was granted, with the state making its purchase in 1981(117).

(The following is a broadcast and not a targeting of bwparker1: Two books that should be part of the library of anyone with an interest of railroading history of the six contiguous states east of New York State are The Rail Lines of Southern New England: A Handbook of Railroad History and The Rail Lines of Northern New England: A Handbook of Railroad History.) (And no, I have neither financial nor personal interest in either the principals or agents of the two books.)
  by bwparker1

jaymac wrote:Per the 1995 edition of Ronald Dale Karr's The Rail Lines of Southern New England: A Handbook of Railroad History, the line had been repaired by the state in 1994 for reopening in 1995, following an OOS period preceded by B&M operation as a hiree of the state. The line had seen thrice-weekly service in the PC period, and the USRA recommended against Conrail inclusion. Shippers objected, and inclusion was granted, with the state making its purchase in 1981(117).

(The following is a broadcast and not a targeting of bwparker1: Two books that should be part of the library of anyone with an interest of railroading history of the six contiguous states east of New York State are The Rail Lines of Southern New England: A Handbook of Railroad History and The Rail Lines of Northern New England: A Handbook of Railroad History.) (And no, I have neither financial nor personal interest in either the principals or agents of the two books.)
That's funny as I have his third book, the Lost Railroads of New England. I will be sure to investigate adding the other two books.

Brooks
  by CVRA7

bwparker1 wrote:
Larry wrote:I was over in South Windsor CT on Friday the 23rd and I saw CSO coming southbound on Armory branch and it had 11 cars in tow. This was quite large for this train so I was excited to see it. Today though, August 26 on the Griffin Line over in Bloomfield I saw CNZR towing 18 cars to Home Depot. 18 cars is the most I have ever seen but maybe someone can remember another time there was more? So great to see these many cars on these two lines as the norm is usually about 5 or six tops.
Does anyone know why the Griffin line stayed intact when the rest of the old Central New England gave up the ghost in the 1930's/1940's. I am assuming that the Home Depot Warehouse wasn't built until the 1980's at the earliest... What kept the line in business that long, what was the source of revenue, or why did it stay preserved until Home Depot came online?

- BWP
Brooks, regarding the "original" CNE route Hartford-Griffins: some customers remained in the 30s, especially closer to Hartford. IIRC by the 60's there was some occasional tank car unloading on what had been the main track at Griffins, some occasional off-line team track business there (probably agricultural), feed store at Bloomfield, paper near Cottage Grove Rd, a cattle ramp on the main line near Copaco (part of which remains) then several businesses in Hartford - guessing oil, coal, lumber. In '74 I saw an RS3, 1 boxcar, and a caboose heading up the line toward Griffin a couple of times. Also some sort of nuclear waste traffic from off line loaded at Griffins kept the line opened and had the line re-opened at least once when after the printing company left.
I walked the line Hartford-Griffins when it was "fallow" back in the early '80s.
  by bwparker1

CVRA7 wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:

- BWP
Brooks, regarding the "original" CNE route Hartford-Griffins: some customers remained in the 30s, especially closer to Hartford. IIRC by the 60's there was some occasional tank car unloading on what had been the main track at Griffins, some occasional off-line team track business there (probably agricultural), feed store at Bloomfield, paper near Cottage Grove Rd, a cattle ramp on the main line near Copaco (part of which remains) then several businesses in Hartford - guessing oil, coal, lumber. In '74 I saw an RS3, 1 boxcar, and a caboose heading up the line toward Griffin a couple of times. Also some sort of nuclear waste traffic from off line loaded at Griffins kept the line opened and had the line re-opened at least once when after the printing company left.
I walked the line Hartford-Griffins when it was "fallow" back in the early '80s.
Thank you for the detailed reply. Obviously, the business closer to Hartford would have been there, but I was wondering why it stayed open all the Griffins. You are probably correct that there was some agricultural traffic out that way to keep it afloat. When did Home Depot build the warehouse?
  by RonM

Some notes, vague memories, bs(?), lol

At Griffins, I wanted to say there was a propane dealer(?) at the end of track into the 80's, long before the CNZR. Not sure if they received rail service. Anyone remember this? I don't believe the propane was used for the tobacco shed heaters, to dry the leaves (area is known for broadleaf and shade grown tobacco for cigars, part of Culbro but who knows). There were a lot of sheds in the surrounding towns. Maybe the netting for the tobacco tents and other products came in via rail at Griffins after the Canal line was shut-down? I have some pictures from March 1989 of buildings South of the crossing at present day Day Hill that look like they were railroad related. Buildings are long gone.
When and if I get some time, I need to investigate further with the BHS.

Home Depot was an ACE Hardware warehouse prior to HD moving in. CNZR built the sidings for HD.

In Bloomfield center, at the Farmer's Exchange, I have seen photo's of Western Maryland boxcars located there from May 1969.
  by etna9726b

8/31. Earthmoving equipment and some clearing work at intersection of routes 140 and 191 at the CNZR crossing. Years ago they started building a raised earth loading zone bordered by large concrete Lego blocks. Perhaps this is being finished.
  by Larry

CNZR is installing Cement ties and new track North of cement plant this past week just past Melrose CT off RTE 191. Per CNZR, the long and forever taking crossing for cement factory to be installed this spring (2015) and therefore they are once again laying ties and new track purchased from China (146lb) rail North of this crossing. Yes this could be a super speedway if ever was a will and a way when CNZR gets done with the upgrading. Nice to see this work getting done finally.
  by rb

Are there any customers up that way?
  by Larry

They say that here is but if so they still have to wait for springtime 2015 and then some for the line to be completely opened.
  by whatelyrailfan

rb wrote:Are there any customers up that way?
There are anywhere from 3-6 potential customers along the line, including Hallmark on Bacon Road, which I'm pretty sure had rail service until sometime in the 70s-early 80s. Just look at Google or Bing maps for old unused sidings and possible customers.
Peace,
Jonathan
  by bwparker1

Larry wrote:CNZR is installing Cement ties and new track North of cement plant this past week just past Melrose CT off RTE 191. Per CNZR, the long and forever taking crossing for cement factory to be installed this spring (2015) and therefore they are once again laying ties and new track purchased from China (146lb) rail North of this crossing. Yes this could be a super speedway if ever was a will and a way when CNZR gets done with the upgrading. Nice to see this work getting done finally.
Why this work is being done does not make sense. Why such heavy infrastructure for nothing to run on? Unless there is a state grant to be spent.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

bwparker1 wrote:
Larry wrote:CNZR is installing Cement ties and new track North of cement plant this past week just past Melrose CT off RTE 191. Per CNZR, the long and forever taking crossing for cement factory to be installed this spring (2015) and therefore they are once again laying ties and new track purchased from China (146lb) rail North of this crossing. Yes this could be a super speedway if ever was a will and a way when CNZR gets done with the upgrading. Nice to see this work getting done finally.
Why this work is being done does not make sense. Why such heavy infrastructure for nothing to run on? Unless there is a state grant to be spent.
The rail, yes. The concrete ties were a free donation from the defective batch that was ripped up on the Amtrak Shoreline a couple years ago. The pulled-up ties were going to be disposed of per the contract settlement with the manufacturer Rocla, so CNZR got to go through the rummage yard and salvage as many good ones as they needed for this job.