• CN's Trackside Signals?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by ch_bs06

Anyone know where i can find a list or a guide to which signals CN' uses up here in Canada?
  by ch_bs06

Yes that looks like them. I was just wondering as it seems different railways use different sets of signals.
  by Ken V

In Canada, the CROR signals are used by CN (as well as CP and most short lines) on all their lines across the country. The U.S. railroads use various sets of rules (e.g. NORAC). I could be wrong, but I think CN also uses CROR signals on their GTW lines in Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois.

gp9rm4108 is correct that the CROR was changed recently in March 2008, but the 2005 version is still usable. The rule numbers may have changed but the old signal meanings haven't.
  by ENR3870

Ken V wrote:In Canada, the CROR signals are used by CN (as well as CP and most short lines) on all their lines across the country. The U.S. railroads use various sets of rules (e.g. NORAC). I could be wrong, but I think CN also uses CROR signals on their GTW lines in Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois.
The New Westminster Sub between the Fraser River Bridge and downtown Vancouver uses BNSF American signal indications (Approach, approach medium, etc.), due to the fact that it was a BNSF line until 2006.
  by ch_bs06

Thanks everyone for the new information.

But another question, does anyone know, when the conductor or engineer 'calls out' a signal, lets say yellow over red, would they identify it as an "approach signal", or as a "clear to stop"?
  by ENR3870

ch_bs06 wrote:Thanks everyone for the new information.

But another question, does anyone know, when the conductor or engineer 'calls out' a signal, lets say yellow over red, would they identify it as an "approach signal", or as a "clear to stop"?
It depends, if they're on the New Westminster Sub, it's "Approach", on the Yale Sub and other subs in Canada it's "Clear to Stop". BTW, it's usually the conductor that calls the signals over the radio.
  by Engineer Spike

In the US, NORAC has a set of signal rules. GCOR does not have a set of signal rules. These are in the special instructions of each individual company, UP, BNSF, etc.
The Canadian roads use "speed signaling" NORAC does too. The signals tell the speed that one must do. ex. "clear to medium" You are running at track speed, and must be at medium speed, at the next signal.
The western roads mostly show clear of diverging signals. On a diverging clear, The timetable will list waht speed the diverging route must be taken, at a particular crossover or switch.
  by CN_Hogger

On the IC side we use USOR signal rules. No speeds associated with them except restricting signals.