• CN Questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by rail

I currently work for another railroad going through Engineer Training. I have an interview with CN next week for conductor opening on the former Wisconsin Central. Just wondering if the rumors I hear about the CN contracts are True? $33.00 for Engineer. $27.00 for conductor. Is this True and if it is what have been the drawbacks of the contract.
If this is true I will jump at the chance to work for CN, if not I will stay where I am At.

by chrisjz

One thing I know for sure about the CN is they have system-wide seniority. I found this out from a guy that use to work for the CN and left to work for NS because of this.
Last edited by chrisjz on Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by jg greenwood

rail wrote:I currently work for another railroad going through Engineer Training. I have an interview with CN next week for conductor opening on the former Wisconsin Central. Just wondering if the rumors I hear about the CN contracts are True? $33.00 for Engineer. $27.00 for conductor. Is this True and if it is what have been the drawbacks of the contract.
If this is true I will jump at the chance to work for CN, if not I will stay where I am At.
Actually, $33.00/hr. for the engineers, $30.00/hr. for conductors. Drawbacks? This is based upon a 10 hour day, overtime after 10 hours. No air-pay, initial/final terminal delay. You can and will handle multiple trains per shift, with no additional compensation as per the contract. Extra board guarantees: $1,400.00/wk. for engineers, IIRC, $1,350.00/wk. for the conductors. The engineer guarantee is based upon weekly earnings, the conductors per half. This means as an engr. you can collect your guarantee for one week, make above the guarantee the following week and earn above $2,800/half. Not so with the conductor's board. Feel free to contact me via PM for additional info.

by jg greenwood

chrisjz wrote:One thing I know for sure about the CN is they have system-wide seniority. I found this out from a guy that use to work for the CN and left to work for NS because of this.
Not sure about the former WC territory, on the former IC the system wide seniority was abolished with the last contract. You're now in what's known as "bubbles." This is usually the three terminals nearest your home terminal. You seniority is vaild only within these "bubbles."
  by UPRR engineer

jg greenwood wrote: This is based upon a 10 hour day, overtime after 10 hours. No air-pay, initial/final terminal delay. You can and will handle multiple trains per shift, with no additional compensation as per the contract.
I never did click on this topic, i had to hunt down the source from another post/quote. That right there is the reason we have two different views of running there jg, right? Your only incentive is to make it past the 10 hour mark. Did they also give up the "basic day" with that contract? or is a basic day for you 10 hours? How much time do you put in on a trip buddy? Do you guys slug and try to get it all?
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by shortlinerailroader

UP is division seniority; BNSF is system--correct?

by UPRR engineer

Yep your right about the UP, ive heard that about the BN, not totally sure about it.
  by UPRR engineer

How was your trip yesterday jg? I know your not gonna let someone like me keep you from talking. Get back on here, i miss ya dude.

UPRR engineer wrote:
jg greenwood wrote: This is based upon a 10 hour day, overtime after 10 hours. No air-pay, initial/final terminal delay. You can and will handle multiple trains per shift, with no additional compensation as per the contract.
I never did click on this topic, i had to hunt down the source from another post/quote. That right there is the reason we have two different views of running there jg, right? Your only incentive is to make it past the 10 hour mark. Did they also give up the "basic day" with that contract? or is a basic day for you 10 hours? How much time do you put in on a trip buddy? Do you guys slug and try to get it all?

by overbyja

Hey everybody!! I'm new to this forum, but I've already learned a lot in the hour or so I've been browsing. There's lots of useful information here. Please excuse me for bringing up an older topic, but I feel I don't need to make a new topic out of this.

First a little background info. I'm currently enrolled in college in Lower Michigan, but unfortunately I do not meet the requirements for the subject I want to major in. There is not really any other subjects that interest me, so I will be dropping out in May 2006 and moving back home (Menominee, MI).

I put in my app/resume online with CN last week for a conductor trainee position, and already I have been invited to a test/interview session in Fond Du Lac (WI Division ex-WC) on 3/30 (kinda short notice). I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered. First, how does CN run their interview sessions (ie. what to expect)? One of the requirements is that you are able to lift 80 lbs or more for long periods (which I can do pretty easily). Is there any other physical requirements that I should know about? Finally, about how long does it take to find out if I got the job and how long until you start training? I ask this because I want to know if they'll give me enough time to get myself moved back home before I start.

I feel pretty confident I will do well on the tests having two years attending a state university under my belt, and I passed my last physical (last year) in perfect health despite being a little on the "big" side. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jake

by cifn2

how did the interview go Jake?

by ENR3870

Seniority districts in Canada: Western Canada(West of Thunder Bay), Eastern Canada(East of Thunder Bay), BC Rail, and the former RailAmerica shortlines in Alberta.