• CN Orders More SD70M-2's

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by lock4244

I read in the Canadian Railway Observation news letter (http://www.canadianrailwayobservations.com/) that CN has 25 more SD70M-2's on order. Included in a few variations from the last order, CN 8850-8874 will be equipped with isolated cabs. A small order, but given the financial situation in North America, I guess I should be surprised they're buying at all. I think they'll kill off the remaining SD50F's (if any are left by the time the units are scheduled to arrive... end of 2008), and they'll likely kill off more of CN's SD40-2W's.

And speaking of SD40-2W's, according to the CRO, five retired units were purchased by a UK firm and are going over seas.
  by rrfoose

I'm not surprised to see the SD50F's going. But considering how many shortlines and regionals like SD40-2's, I am surprised that none of the SD40-2W's have showed up, unlike the GP version.
  by atsf sp

No matter how much I like wide cab SD40s and cowl units, the SD70M-2s are nice engines. And CN's look nice when they are clean. I saw some dirty ones in Saguenay this year. I would say it is the only EMD 70 series body I like.
(Counting SD70ACe as the same body)
  by lock4244

Yes, the SD70M-2's were nice to see when first delivered... but what units aren't? I have several nice shots of them, but found they got dirty really quick, and seem to look worse than most when dirty. I hope to get shots of the new order when they start showing up. FWIW, thi is old news. I knew about when announced then forgot... must have learned something new since and that pushed something old out of the old noggin :wink:

I wish the SD40-2W's were not being slowly retired and sold off. CN is getting pretty thin on widenosed locomotives of the classic CN design. Most of the GP40-2L's and -2W's are gone, SD40-2W's are going, SD50F's are almost gone, and the M420W, HR412, HR616 fleets are long gone. Only the GP38-2W (with a few retirements), SD60F, C40-8M, C44-9WL's have secure immediate futures. That's only 210 or so units including fmr. BCOL C40/C44's.
  by CN_Hogger

Thank god they decided to get the "Quiet" cab feature. The 8000's and 8800's we already have are quite loud. Hopefully they finally got the option of the bell turning on when you blow the horn too...
  by CN Sparky

Looks like 10 of the new ones are running around now... 8875-8884 so far.
  by CN_Hogger

I had the 8875 a few weeks ago(paired with an SD40-2 of course!). It's kind of sad that a brand new $2mil locomotive already has rattles in the cab with less the 9,000 mi on it! Other than that it's nice to have a new unit...
CN Sparky wrote:Looks like 10 of the new ones are running around now... 8875-8884 so far.
  by usa4624

CN 8875 - 8888 are now on the property. 8888 was at Woodcrest Shops in Homewood last week waiting for its first revenue trip.

Most of these units are operating on the former CN - DWP - WC between Winnepeg and Chicago.
  by byte

I saw one of these the other day, heading north of Homewood toward Corwith on the ol' GTW. Had a very distinctive, deeper-sounding horn. Maybe that's the "Canadian moose tuning" I'm hearing?
  by miklin

guess it means some of my favourites are living on borrowed time. For example, I caught an eastbound stack train thru Paris Jct. Ont. today with two SD-40-2w's leading a three unit consist. (I believe it was 5287 on the point) Both SDs are from the class of 1976 and badly in need of new paint, which they'll likely never see.
Maybe the economy is improving if these old crates are back on the main.
  by Deval

CN is up to 8904 now, for those that are counting.
  by CN Sparky

8901 and 8902 were at Thornton a couple of days ago... a mere 3900 miles on the odometer :) Went out on 112... probably back in Ontario by now!

by SamTHorn

Where was that taken if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks in advance.

~ Sam
CN Sparky wrote:8901 and 8902 were at Thornton a couple of days ago... a mere 3900 miles on the odometer :) Went out on 112... probably back in Ontario by now!
  by Ken V

SamTHorn wrote:Where was that taken if you don't mind me asking?
The original message states where the photo was taken: Thornton [Yard - Surrey BC]