• CMSL in the news

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by northjerseybuff

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news ... 3ce6c.html

"Voll wants NJ Transit, which owns the tracks, to revoke Cape May Seashore Lines’ right to use them. Voll said he has requested a meeting with NJ Transit Executive Director Jim Weinstein"
  by bluedash2

.....A politician telling us about good use of tax dollars, LOL. Some crossings have an EXEMPT sign on them, meaning vehicles normally required to stop don't have to. The Rt 130 crossing of the Grenloch has just that. And Voll is from Middle Twp, which hates the CMSL. And good luck getting the state to revoke a tennant that pays them money to run a line for them.
  by waldwickrailfan

I rode the CMSL when they ran into Cape May. I couldnt last year, but definatly plan to this year! Hopefully NJT does not abandon it. It is still used.
  by Mr. Ed

Another politician with an axe to grind. He keeps looking for ways to shut down the CMSL. He like some other politicians forget that they are elected to do what is best for the township not what he wants. Maybe it's time for him to go.

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by CTL10D

"...and Voll is from Middle Township..." As I was reading the article first, I thought to myself about halfway through that someone involved in this must be from Middle township, guess I got my answer lol.
  by northjerseybuff

Macrie was quoted as saying he plans to start up again this year. Note..he doesn't say when. This leads me to believe summer 2012 will be in question already.
  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:Macrie was quoted as saying he plans to start up again this year. Note..he doesn't say when. This leads me to believe summer 2012 will be in question already.

Yes, he makes more money in storing freight cars..... He probably gets $100 to $150 per MONTH storing each car!!!
Last edited by blockline4180 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Mr. Ed

Typical politician. He is concerned that the train will disrupt school buses crossing the tracks...................in the summer? And on weekends? Isn't it funny how when a person has an axe to grind they will grasp at straws.

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by rrbluesman

I have been thinking about this topic for a few days since it was posted and I read the article. I have a lot to say so this is going to be long:

For as many years as I can remember, some member(s) of the political body of Middle Twp. has had an axe to grind with the CMSL and Tony Macrie for reasons inlcuding:
Rail yard vanadalism
Safety
Promised seasonal service which has not developed
Who the operator of the line should be
Storage of freight cars.

I have always been a supporter of the CMSL and have hoped that the service would expand. Year after year there was promised service and for some reason or another it has fallen through in Cape May during the summer. Although I support the line, I shrug my shoulders when service is promised and nothing or very little happens. If Mr. Voll has an ax to grind with the CMSL and their operations, there are correct channels for him to do so, making inflamator comments to the newspaper starts only rumors and confusion when the opposing party is not well quoted or quoted at all. I find it hard to believe that Mr. Voll expects NJT to operate rail service to Cape May points or revoke their lease with CMSL. NJT stopped running trains to Cape May points in the 1980s because there was not ridership to justify it. The cost it would take NJT to upgrade the line south of Tuchahoe, make stations ADA compliant, provide their own equipment, make arrangements with CSAO between Winslow and Tuckahoe, to name a few things make reinstating Cape May service unreasonable for NJT to do. Think of how long it has taken to make progress getting studies for PATCO to reach Glassboro and where that project stands. I think Mr. Voll expected people to read the article and raise a S*** storm amongst the public to end CMSL operations. I don't think he has had that effect.

I know that washouts and line maintenance has been a long standings problem for the CMSL. NJT is not going to spend millions of dollars to rehab the Cape May line for a tourist route. I don't know the particualrs of CMSL's agreement, but for years that has been the excuse for no service. Politicians have had their fill of this, but they do nothing to change it. I am a government contractor, I know they do not work fast or efficiently. If Mr. Voll wants to change things then he needs to use his post to make it happen, whether that be good or bad for the line. I wish the CMSL the best of luck in their operations and hope they run service in Cape May this year.
  by glennk419

The CMSL Santa Trains have been immensely successful for several reasons with most trains sold out and extra trains added for the last two years. One of the reasons for this is the publicity and support that CMSL has received from Richland Village and its' business community. PEOPLE COME TO RIDE THE TRAINS! If Mike Voll and Middle and Lower Townships would only take a lesson from from this success and recognize the railroad for its' potential, instead of being a constant thorn in its' arse, things could be a whole lot different. The City of Cape May seemed to genuinely welcome the railroad when it ran for that short stint in 2010 and I'm sure they would continue to in an effort to alleviate some of the traffic in town. Let's hope the railroad comes back in summer of 2012 and for many years to come.
  by Jtgshu

RRbluesman, I know what you mean about the shrugging of the shoulders with regard to the CMSL.

It just seems like every year there is another excuse as to why the trains won't run during the summer.

The Santa trains are tremendously successful and thats great! Now, imagine what would happen if they ran during tourist season during the summer.

It just doesn't make any sense to me at least.....

It does seem like this political clown does have an axe to grind and it is personal to him (which isn't right for a politican, but thats a whole other issue...), but you have to wonder, how much of this hatred was brought on by the CMSL and or Mr. Macrie himself over the years? Broken promises is a recurring theme/problem that i have heard about many times (most go back to the Thomas the Tank Engine trains some years back) as well as something I have first hand knowledge about. I don't know specific details about events that happened in the past, other than what I heard in stories and discussions, (so you gotta take it for what its worth) but can only say that it would fit in to what was encountered by a good friend. This was a simple request that was acknowledged and received but when the time came, no dice....just disappeared off the face of the earth it seemed

Shame too...would have brought him and the railroad a little goodwill, would have even changed my view a little bit, but apparently making the trip to unlock a door was too much to ask, and instead, well it is what it is. Instead of changing my view it re-affirmed it....
  by Sirsonic

Lets all take it easy now. Anything short of a chorus of Hail Tonys will get you labeled as a "crybaby"...
  by rrbluesman

I understand, to some point, why the political community in Cape May is unhappy. Years of empty promises about serice has left the area, the railfans, and the tourists going whatever about the operation. The Santa trains show there could be solid tourist ridership if the chance were to present itself. The CMSL needs to get serious about operating if they expect people and the local governments will support the line. I hope they can keep the equipment from being vandalized this year if they don't run. If they do run there is a myriad of good equipment for them to use. I admire Mr. Macrie for wanting to run the service and on occassion doing so, I disdain service promises and them little or nothing. That's the long and short of how I feel about the line these days. I wish them the best in getting things running.
  by glennk419

rrbluesman wrote:I understand, to some point, why the political community in Cape May is unhappy. Years of empty promises about serice has left the area, the railfans, and the tourists going whatever about the operation. The Santa trains show there could be solid tourist ridership if the chance were to present itself. The CMSL needs to get serious about operating if they expect people and the local governments will support the line. I hope they can keep the equipment from being vandalized this year if they don't run. If they do run there is a myriad of good equipment for them to use. I admire Mr. Macrie for wanting to run the service and on occassion doing so, I disdain service promises and them little or nothing. That's the long and short of how I feel about the line these days. I wish them the best in getting things running.
Ironically, you made a good point about halfway through your post. VANDALISM is something that Mike Voll seems to have categorically ignored throughout all of his rhetoric. Not only was the equipment spray painted, set on fire, stripped of parts while it sat in his beloved Middle Township, the inept police department actually allowed the cretans to steal spikes and tie plates from the ROW until an alert citizen called 911. Back to the original point, this guy is a talking head with a vendetta who needs to figure out what the real problems in his township are and CMSL is not one of them.

"Hot D*@n and hallelujiah, where's the Tylenol"? Clark Griswold, Christmas Vacation
  by Jtgshu

Im not going to get into details, as its not my place, Trainlawywer, but I will say it didn't involve a building, but rather a piece of equipment, with a lock on its door. All details as to why access was requested were made known, nothing sinister or evil, but rather a very, very nice thing was trying to be done for a retired railroader. It was agreed to.

I have a theory myself, but I definitely won't get into that here, as its all speculation on my part, and I WILL NOT do that. Ill just keep it to myself filed away in the filing cabinet in my head and if I were to find out somehow that it were to be true, well then I would be really REALLY mad, and NOT just at Mr. Macrie.....

But for right now, this whole incident was just kind of a "I told you so" moment....i was really hoping to be proven wrong that day....

I will agree however, that this politican is totally out there, and his comments just prove that he is so out of touch and that is personal with him. Kind of a loud mouth bully it seems....