• Clearing old right of way in Newark

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by piker

I stayed for the night last night at the Best Western at Newark Airport. In between the hotel and the Airtrain airport station is an old right of way parallel to the main line (NEC?) with cantenary structures still in place. this morning there was a logging crew clearing the underbrush from the hotel over to the main line about 200 yds, the roadbed had been graded and lots of survey marks around. What was this line and do we know whats happening? Looks more involved than a tidy up. Nobody I asked there seemed to know.
  by carajul

It could have been part of the once-large waverly yard that was located where the airport station is now. Also there were once several local freight tracks along side of the NEC in that area. Years ago, Newark had a lot of factories and industry along the railroad. I remember when they were building the airport sta the MOW gang was gearing those tracks out. They were burried in mud and had 100 year old ties. I remember seeing them in the 1980s and even then they were burried.
  by pumpers

It would be nice if it were rail-related (transload...), but any investment/construction in the Newark area at all is good, except for perhaps another airport parking lot... (the private lots in the area are getting pretty full I've noticed, but doubt they can afford any new construction ...). JS
  by kilroy

They continue to do work there. I know there were plans to build a hotel/convention center there before the real estate market tanked. Perhaps that project is finally getting underway. No knowledge, just speculation on my part.
  by pumpers

I was on the Newark Airport monorail from the airport train station Wednesday and yesterday.
Wednesday I noticed that the Waverly yards area from the monorail up to the Haynes avenue bridge, had been paved over (or at least gravel covered) and lights installed. Last night I saw cars parked on it - it looked like a new car storage lot for a dealer. Couldn't tell what brand. JS
  by dano23

Its probably just more off airport rental car storage
  by carajul

If you look at the highway bridges (Rt 1 I think) over the area, you'll see old catenary insulators still there. Now over the trees!
  by cobra30689

Truly is sad. Showing my age here, but I do remember when Waverly was in full operation, and all under wire.
  by ccutler

...took the monorail today...
the lot is loaded with brand new toyotas and hondas.