• Chicago River and Indiana

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by dogjaws

Does anyone have any pictures of Chicago River and Indiana locomotives?

by CSX ENG

Don't have any photos, but I do have a 1953 system map! But it's not for sale....
  by dogjaws

My experience with this road comes from when I was working for the Chicago Railway Equipment Company/Superior Car Door Company in the early '70s. The CR & I would switch the plant. They used ex NYC SWs, but I can't remember how they were lettered. I believe they were lettered the same as similar P&LE units but I'm not sure.
  by CSX ENG

dogjaws wrote:My experience with this road comes from when I was working for the Chicago Railway Equipment Company/Superior Car Door Company in the early '70s. The CR & I would switch the plant. They used ex NYC SWs, but I can't remember how they were lettered. I believe they were lettered the same as similar P&LE units but I'm not sure.
Exactly where in Chicago was that factory located?
  by dogjaws

46th and Wolcott, in the back of the yards neighborhood.

by BaltOhio

The CR&I and Chicago Junction RR were operated under the same management, although in steam days they had their own assigned rosters, with tenders lettered "New York Central System" (like the P&LE, as noted) and CR&I or CJ sublettering near the top of the coal bunker. 0-6-0s dominated the rosters, none of which were standard NYC classes, although the CR&I had 11 U-3d-class 0-8-0s. The CR&I-CJ had their own engine number series, separate from NYC.

In the diesel era, CR&I had 6 SW-7s, #8898-8903 (which fitted the NYC series), originally owned by CR&I but sold in 1951 to NYC. I'm not sure what was used after that -- possibly the same engines, or possibly other NYC power cycled in and out.

by CSX ENG

I have one photo of an SW7 (?) that is lettered for the CR&I, taken a few years after the start-up of Conrail. Also know that the CR&I had at least one (but probably more) N6A-type transfer cabooses that were painted NYC Jade Green. Used to see this stuff at the "CJ" yard on 40th & Ashland.... Do you guys also remember the two story yard office with "CHICAGO JUNCTION RAILWAY spelled out in concrete lettering?
  by dogjaws

I would have to bring paperwork to Carl at the CJ office occasionally. I would gag at the smell from the rendering plant across the street.