• cdl a plus?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by local61man

yes i've drove a truck long haul and local hauling everything from heavy machines to pulling doubles for yellow freight. i was wondering if this will be a plus for me. thanks for the help men.
  by jg greenwood

local61man wrote:yes i've drove a truck long haul and local hauling everything from heavy machines to pulling doubles for yellow freight. i was wondering if this will be a plus for me. thanks for the help men.
I would think that it couldn't be anything but beneficial.

by jz441

What position are you interested in? To have the experience in operating or being around "big things" is definitely a plus as long as you have a safe track record.
  by local61man

im interested in a carman or trackworker.

by kylewoody

I've thought the same thing. I'm only 19, but am currently trying to do my driving portion of the test (already have my CDL permit). I've heard it definitely can't hurt!

Shows you know airbrakes, deisels, heavy transportation, etc.

Kyle
  by local61man

yes i figure someday i might want to be an engineer, and i think if you can navigate 80,000 pounds through snow,sleet rain not to mention all the nuts on the road, i believe i could operate a locomotive just fine.
  by chrisjz

local61man wrote:i believe i could operate a locomotive just fine.
There is a huge difference (major tonnage) between driving a truck and operating a locomotive while practicing good train handling techniques.
  by jz441

local61man wrote: i believe i could operate a locomotive just fine.
Operating a locomotive without any cars or with just a few cars might relate to trucking, but not really. Operating a 140 car freight train that weighs 15,000t takes a lot of skill and not everyone can do it. To stop it takes about 3-4 miles of planning ahead. If you pass that red signal by an inch, your license is gone. I would relate it more to landing a cargo 747, or C17. I wish that the brakes would react immediately after the application, but it doesn’t work that way.
Also the most important factor that engineers deal with is called "slack". If you don’t know how to control "buff" and "draft" forces you can cause light cars to derail do to heavy "run-ins", rail to turn over or train to snap in 2-3 pieces.
I have seen people who were great conductors become engineers and get fired because they just couldn’t do it. I always tell people, it’s not for everyone, so choose wisely before you put your bid for the engine service.