• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by map193

I followed some of the advice that DogBert posted and I notified several newspapers about the dysfunction that is happening in the the Ulster County Legislature and in the Kingston government. I told them about what has happened with the county government, the FEMA funding, the court injunction/dump truck incident and the constant progression of rail rehabilitation by the CMRR. I haven't heard anything back yet from these papers but as soon as I do I'll post the news.

To go along the lines of what DogBert said has anyone out there thought about grouping together and protesting and raising awareness outside of Kingston's City Hall and outside the County Building? I know that these types of actions are time consuming and a lot of people don't have the time to do this, but if this is so important to us don't we think that we should raise awareness about this? Like other people have recently said and I agree, the CMRR and their supporters need to be more proactive and gain public support and awareness for our fight by being heard whether it be letters to the editor, to politicians, calling into local radio shows or even protesting and raising awareness that way. It doesn't cost much to do these things other than time. I think if this happens and people are made aware of our main arguments they will support this cause.
  by scoostraw

Ok just so I'm clear here...

The county complains that the CMRR has not made any progress. Then they take extreme/crazy/illegal actions to PREVENT then from making progress.

So it's obvious what is going on here. Wait until the CMRR tries to cross 209. But the support I see in response to that freeman article is overwhelmingly in the railroad's favor. I think this trail business is a bunch of crap. It's just a minority of people who have managed to make some noise.

Let's see how this plays out.

"DogBert For Mayor!!!"
Last edited by scoostraw on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Dick H

Let's hope the attorney for the CMRR will be dropping a few "hot potatoes"
for the politicos to pick up. I am not familiar with where the truck is
parked. Does that mean that the CMRR locomotive is "marooned", also..
  by jmarino

SlowFreight wrote:Dogbert has hit it on the head. His post has quite a bit of good advice. CMRR also needs to consult specifically with a commerce attorney who is knowledgeable in STB matter. This is a difficult situation, and I had no idea how bad the relationship was with CMRR's landlords and neighbors.

The railroad is in a bad spot, because right now it will be nigh impossible to get the lease renewed in 2016, judging by the lack of political support. And under specific legal circumstances, the CMRR won't be able to do anything to prevent removal of the track.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the political support really went out the window when Mr Hein came on the scene and Mr. Gallo just joined in in the past year when they decided to take track from the Trolley museum last year from 2.4 to their museum and make that section a walking trail , so far I see no trail action just more garbage dumped .
  by jmarino

Something folks need to know [ The Public]is that the CMRR and its volunteers have foot the bill with their own revenue to my knowledge and probably some money out of their own pockets for most the work done plus their time!!!! that needs to get out in papers press etc. , they have not been given the fema money to repair the line damaged by Irene , If the county takes the tracks from the Cmrr and makes a trail they still have spend a great deal tax payers money to fix butternut cove the Boiceville bridge , I believe their is damage near cold brook, tare the track up cost money and to go west of Phoenicia no matter if its trail or Rail road $$$$$$$$ , As much as I would love to see the train go to Highmount that is a tough one, I have read thru all post since Saturday morning very impressive the support , I wouldn't give up on a lease renewal I think if you get public support for a tourist railroad and a firm commitment that it will completed to Phoenicia with the support of the county which would have to be forced by public and local communities and allow private support $$ it would be a great success and then maybe you could toy with the idea of repairing REPLACEING the track west of Phoenicia in the mean while if the D&U where still interested in going to Pine Hill or even to Lashers bridge let them have at it .I wish all the best to the hard working folks of the CMRR and all their supporters and I will be on the train hopefully the 25th to show my support and enjoy the ride to the Hurley Flats [209] or further , Stay determined and focused on your goal all the rest will fall into place don't give in and be firm .
  by airman00

Perhaps too other railroads like CSX and NS should be notified of all this, to see if any of there help can be enlisted. And perhaps a new push can be made to re-establish a connection to the CSX River line, to help put all this nonsense to rest. Nothing like having a class 1 RR on your side. :)
  by tj48

tj48 wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:I never would have moved those cars if I wasn't prepared to bring them right down into the yard and leave them there. Why is this guy only concerned with lead and "pesticides" now? They've been up there for years and years.

I mean obviously he's throwing out a line of crap to try to scare the average people who wouldn't know any better. Someone aught to show him a report on the things going through town every day on CSX trains...

Is CMR not legally able to do what it wants on it's tracks the same as any other railroad, like CSX.
If these politicians are so concerned for the people of Kingston of what the environmental impact these two cars may have then they should park more dump trucks across the CSX tracks and block every entrance into Kingston to keep out cars and trucks from spewing there deadly exhaust all over the people of Kingston, as well as announce that every citizen of Kingston must turn in their current cars and trucks for electrically powered vehicles.
After that every store that sells fertilizers, chemicals and anything else that could possibly contaminate the ground water should also be ordered to halt sales to protect the people of Kingston.
Next, the Mayor of Kingston should organize a 'property standards task force' and evaluate EVERY property in Kingston. Those that don't meet the Mayor's utopian vision are fined or demolished.
Otto, you said a few posts back that there are politicians that are supportive of the railroad..... Where are their voices now that this railroad is apparently in the crosshairs of people (who I can't help but feel are in the minority) who are out to turn it into nothing more than a dirt path.
By the way... If it were to become a dirt path would the politicians and the people who so want this to happen also go along the path and collect up all the garbage that the railroad just did.
Oh and one more thing that should be brought to the attention of Mayor Gallo who is apparently VERY concerned over the health and well being of the people of Kingston. Sir, please issue an immediate order to ban sales of cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, French fries, Big Gulps etc. within the city of Kingston. Those establishments that don't comply will have a City of Kingston dump truck parked across their entrance.
  by jmarino

airman00 wrote:Perhaps too other railroads like CSX and NS should be notified of all this, to see if any of there help can be enlisted. And perhaps a new push can be made to re-establish a connection to the CSX River line, to help put all this nonsense to rest. Nothing like having a class 1 RR on your side. :)
They probably would give support but add a switch ? From what I have learned on this thread probably not without some freight customers to make it worth while , But I hope I am wrong because with a switch customers may come [ Herzog ] Pechams ?? wish wish Need about ?? many more
  by lvrr325

CSX is unlikely to add a switch without it being paid for, which in that territory won't be cheap.
  by jmarino

lvrr325 wrote:CSX is unlikely to add a switch without it being paid for, which in that territory won't be cheap.
So that would mean a big customer something we will never see in Ulster or Delaware county Again that's why the catskill branch is out of service , both up to mtns and down to Rondout, For Freight
  by airman00

lvrr325 wrote:CSX is unlikely to add a switch without it being paid for, which in that territory won't be cheap.
Yes but in looking back into this thread you'll note that the switch in question that was being discussed was not a full electric mainline switch, but rather some kind of frog-style switch that could be used for a lightly used interchange. Unless I'm wrong that would be cheaper than a mainline switch and yet still allow for the CMRR to have a connection to the river line.