• Cape to Cairo Railway

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Cactus Jack

There was an announcement some years back about moving forward with Cecil Rhodes dream of a Cape to Cairo Railway possibly with consultant CPCS involved but I haven't heard any more for some time and no details. Anyone out there know anymore ?
  by george matthews

Cactus Jack wrote:There was an announcement some years back about moving forward with Cecil Rhodes dream of a Cape to Cairo Railway possibly with consultant CPCS involved but I haven't heard any more for some time and no details. Anyone out there know anymore ?
There are continuous Cape Gauge tracks as far as Dar es Salaam. However the TanZam railway is in bad condition. It has recently been taken over by the Chinese who may rehabilitate it. They want to use it to take copper from Zambia to ship to China.

There are metre gauge tracks from Dar es Salaam to northern Uganda. There is then a railless gap to Sudan where there is a Cape gauge system. This too is not connected to Egypt except via a ferry on Lake Nasser.

South Sudan may become independent next year. There are talks about new railways in this new state but I suspect it is mostly talk. However, once again it is China that wants connections to the oil fields of the area. Oil has been discovered in Uganda (I am sure it will ruin them). China wants to take this oil to the Kenyan coast. That may require a new rail line, though surely a pipeline would be more likely.
I really doubt there will ever be a north-south rail line through Sudan. But if the Chinese want one, it will be built.