• Caboose hop?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by denvillerailfan

This afternoon (10/12) I stopped by the shops in Morristown to see the 18 with a string of the cabooses and 21 on the other end, all on the hill...

Anyone know where they are off to / what's up?

I'd love to catch this out on NJT...

by GOLDEN-ARM

Caboose hop, NO. Technically, a cab hop is a light engine move, running with their caboose, either to, or from their train. A bunch of hacks, with a loco on each end, sounds more like a caboose train. Hope this helps......

by Sid Farkus

Last Sunday (Pumkinliner train) had the same exact consist minus 18. Why on that train they had no engine on the other end? Usually on Whippany's caboose trains it has 21 on one end and another engine on the other (generally 18 running long hood forward).

by blockline4180

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Caboose hop, NO. Technically, a cab hop is a light engine move, running with their caboose, either to, or from their train. A bunch of hacks, with a loco on each end, sounds more like a caboose train. Hope this helps......

There will be a "caboose hop" as Tri-State calls it, tomorrow, Sunday, 10/14 on the Dover & Rockaway Branch. Power will probably be the #18.

See this article
http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 203/NEWS01

This might be one of the last opportunities to ride the line through Dover, before they abandon that portion to make way for the Route 46/Route 15 bridge construction.

by denvillerailfan

Was that posted somewhere here?

That's the exact refrence from last year that made me think of the term.
(and thanks to G_A, now I know the difference - thx)

Wonder what time they'll move through Denville... It'll be neat to catch that pasing through. Probably 'on' pretty early to get all setup for 10AM start.

Would be better if I could get down for a ride. I probably can't pull it off on short notice. :-(

The 5$ ride... is that from the 'Post Office' to the end of the D&R (CP Wharton)?

Thanks!

by denvillerailfan

Btkspot89 wrote:Hey Denville when you passed by the shops were 7210 and 7205 still parked outside the house? or did they move them? I meant to drop by today but I could not.
They were together on the 3rd (? lead to the 'green house') track...

BTW, here was the lineup on the hill...

by Btkspot89

Thank you!! I did see that lineup when I passed by earlier yesterday I meant to go check it out but I didn't for some odd reason or another anyways thanks again and nice picture!!

by GOLDEN-ARM

blockline4180 wrote:

There will be a "caboose hop" as Tri-State calls it, tomorrow, Sunday, 10/14 on the Dover & Rockaway Branch. Power will probably be the #18.

See this article
http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 203/NEWS01

The article calls this a "special train of cabooses", kind of what I called it....... (a caboose train):wink: There is no mention of a "caboose hop", which isn't anything like a caboose train, at all. Regards.

by blockline4180

My bad, I thought I saw someone mention "Caboose Hop" Someone use to call it that, I don't remember where I saw it... Oh well!

by blockline4180

Btkspot89 wrote:get a little confused there Steve?? haha :wink:
I'm always confused! That is what you get when you go to sleep at 2 am and you wake up at 5 am. :(

by GOLDEN-ARM

You get to sleep? LUCKY!!!

by Ferro Monte Fan

Tri-State has always called these events "Caboose Hops"; see the article on the group's previous run on the Dover & Rockaway in 2005 that appeared in their newsletter:
http://tristaterail.org/images/TheBlock ... 05-en7.pdf

by blockline4180

Ferro Monte Fan wrote:Tri-State has always called these events "Caboose Hops"; see the article on the group's previous run on the Dover & Rockaway in 2005 that appeared in their newsletter:
http://tristaterail.org/images/TheBlock ... 05-en7.pdf

Yeah, I knew i wasn't seeing things.
"Caboose Hops" in B&W