• Cab roof mounted amber lights on NYC switchers

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by DET760

Hi Everyone,

I sure hope I can explain myself here. Anyway, here goes.....

According to memory, the New York Central began installing amber lights on the cab roofs of their switch engines sometime around the late 50's, early 60's. These lights appeared to be approx. 10" high, were tubular in design and had rounded tops. Again, according to memory, they were wrapped with what appeared to a wire cover or cage for protection. They did not flash nor did they light like a strobe. They remained lighted constantly. I believe the color of the glass may have been changed from amber to clear during the Penn Central and Conrail eras.

Can anyone tell me the exact dimensions of these lights and the reason for their installation? I would imagine it was for safety and locomotive location within the yards.

Thank you in advance,

by CSX ENG

Many IHB (Indiana Harbor Belt) locomotives had these lights as well...

by BR&P

I believe the reason was to aid in the location of an engine at night. Looking out from a tower, the yardmaster could keep tabs on a crew at the far end of the yard. A bucket placed over the light usually solved THAT problem, but some crews resorted to more destructive (and permanant) methods.

by DET760

Hi CSX ENG and BR&P,

I'm sorry it took so long to say thank you for your quick replies to my question concerning the amber locomotive roof lights. Thanks guys.