• Buying a new scanner: suggestions

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Btkspot89

Tom Curtin wrote:
Btkspot89 wrote:I am not sure If I understood what you guys said but did you mention the FCC of bumping railroads off the VHF frq and moving them to the 800mhz digital?
Is that changing of frequencies something that a) has already happened, or b) will happen, or c) is a possibility?
The FCC has not yet confirmed the moving of the RR frq to 800mhz Digital as of now they are still in the VHF range. However I believe that since VHF frq are becoming less used it is a possibility that the FCC might consider moving to 800mhz for better sound quality and reception for the RR.

by Btkspot89

TheKornGuy wrote:does that mean by just scanning the airwaves for frequencies on a scanner, I wont be able to pick up anything? Or can i still scan, find a frequency i want, and just save it.
Also, has all RR radio activity defiantly swithed over to digital?
To answer your last question-no If the FCC ever moved the RR Frq's to 800mhz digital then you would not be able to pick it up. However since the RR range is still in the VHF range you should still be able to pick up the RR of your choice. Once you buy your scanner you should get on the computer and find the RR Frq of your choice and program it into your scanner. Depending on how many the Frq's the RR has it could take some time programming it into your scanner. I have a habit actually of filling in the empty channels on my scanner and later getting confused as to which frq is what RR so keep an organized list of what your frqs are. I don't see why it would be a problem of finding the frq you want and saving it. If you have any other scanner questions feel free to PM me or what ever your choice, I will also double check and get more detail on the possibility of the FRQ range change to digital for you...

by TheKornGuy

thanks so much BTK! I should be getting the scanner soon and hitting you up with some questions :)

by Conrail4evr

Btkspot89 wrote:
Conrail4evr wrote:I wouldn't bother with a scanner. Go for a radio, such as the Yaesu VX-150 or VX-170, or the Icom V8. Both are good quality radios that'll easily run circles around a scanner, and better yet, they cost the same price!
But then you run the risk of some one playing around and transmitting on a railroad band which I am pretty sure is not allowed unless you are certified to operate on that band. When I listen in I don't hear non railroad people transmitting. Sure depending on the type of radio that you would like to purchase might have a better range and reception but I personally believe that scanners are the way to go...
These are Ham radios that can't transmit on the rail band, and for general railroad listening, are far better than any scanner out there. Even commercial radios can be programmed to have the TX disabled (as most people will do anyhow if you can't provide proof that you work for the railroad in question). These Ham radios also have their frequencies entered directly from a keypad, feature 2 to 3 times the reception of a scanner, and have better selectivity (meaning you probably won't hear anything "bleeding over" onto the rail band from nearby strong signal sources). And, as I said, they're the same price as a scanner...unless it's absolutely imperative that you be able to listen in on frequencies outside of the VHF band (132-174 MHz), I wouldn't waste your money on a scanner.

I've been there and done that with scanners, and believe me, I don't plan on using one again. Their benefits are strongly outweighed by their downsides in my eyes (not being able to pick up detectors just a few miles away, having TV stations and pager databursts overload the radio, etc...). The audio quality also has a "tinny" aspect to it on most scanners. The two biggest advantages are the faster scan rate (which isn't an issue unless you find it necessary to scan the entire rail band for some reason) and the extended receive for scanners (you can receive the UHF, 800, and 900 MHz bands, along with others [which is completely unnecessary if you're only listening to trains]).

And as for the 800 MHz band change, don't look for it to happen any time soon. Most railroads aren't going to jump at the thought of replacing all of their very expensive radio equipment system-wise unless the FCC demands that they do it (and even then, I'm sure they'd put up a fight). Why spend millions of dollars to switch to a digital system when the current infrastructure works fine as-is?
Last edited by Conrail4evr on Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Clean Cab

Don't count on the FCC re-allocating railroad frequencies in the 800mhz range anytime soon. The cost to the railroads would be huge!!

For a good scanner I'd advice the Uniden BC-296 if you can still find them. They have a good size, good reception and simple operation.

by Btkspot89

Thank you for clarifying for me!!! As for the Radio/ Scanner debate Conrail- great points and I did not know that they made radios that could disable the TX button!! I will have to keep an eye out for one, Thanks Conrail and Capecod!! :-D

by Conrail4evr

Btkspot89 wrote:Thank you for clarifying for me!!! As for the Radio/ Scanner debate Conrail- great points and I did not know that they made radios that could disable the TX button!! I will have to keep an eye out for one, Thanks Conrail and Capecod!! :-D
Believe me, you won't be disappointed! If anything, you'll probably be floored from the difference!

Basically, there's two classes of radios - Ham radios, and commercial radios. Ham radios can only TX on the 2 meter Ham band (I have one and don't have any problems with it, even not having a Ham license). These radios are about the same price as a scanner, and have the best reception you can get.

Commercial radios are the next level up - they're very ruggedly built and while not as sensitive (can't receive quite as much) as Ham radios, their performance overall still trumps Ham radios. They have rock solid selectivity (the ability to reject strong signals from a different frequency than you're on), so you could quite literally park underneath a NOAA weather station transmitter and never have any interference! These radios can also have their TX abilities disabled entirely, and since the channels are pre-programmed, a law enforcement official has absolutely no ground to stand on for having one in your car (if such laws exist in your state...scanners would actually be worse since they can receive emergency frequencies and such).

For Ham radios, shoot on over to http://www.universal-radio.com and check out the Yaesu VX-150 and VX-170, or the Icom IC-V8. For commercial radios, check out Motorola radios on eBay (if you can, find an auction that includes free programming!).

And a last thought - the reason a scanner's reception overall can't compete with a radio is because radios are designed for a much narrower bandsplit! Scanners cover so much ground that a lot of quality has to be sacrificed to achieve such a wide range of reception. A radio specially designed for the rail band would thus be even better than a regular VHF radio (although for that, you'd have to get one of those Spectra Clean Cab radios, which are not only expensive, but have no scan function...not really ideal for railfans!).

Hope this helps! And also, I hope I didn't come off as an ass in my last post...

by TheKornGuy

Nick,
Thats a lot of helpful info, thanks so much!
Anyway, you seem to be knowledgable to know about something like this (and anyone else with radio knowledge please read)... I just enhereted a Motorola MTS 2000 government issue radio. Yes, I am allowed to have it because I DO work for the government, haha. Anyway, It already has frequency pre sets for the agencies I work with and only scans those pre set frequencies for radio activity. I tried scanning for railroad frequencies and un locking the scaning restrictions but I have no idea how. I also tried finding the specs for this but since this model was made for government use only, there are none to be found. Help!! haha. I would much rather get this one working rather than buying a new one.

by Btkspot89

I have a very simple scanner setup, I have it setup in my car (a 1994 ford ranger with a front bumper problem lol :-D) and its just a simple Radioshack Pro 82 200 channel 10 Bank scanner with external antenna on the roof of my truck with a BNC connector to plug it into the scanner... its cheap but it works

by Conrail4evr

TheKornGuy wrote:Nick,
Thats a lot of helpful info, thanks so much!
Anyway, you seem to be knowledgable to know about something like this (and anyone else with radio knowledge please read)... I just enhereted a Motorola MTS 2000 government issue radio. Yes, I am allowed to have it because I DO work for the government, haha. Anyway, It already has frequency pre sets for the agencies I work with and only scans those pre set frequencies for radio activity. I tried scanning for railroad frequencies and un locking the scaning restrictions but I have no idea how. I also tried finding the specs for this but since this model was made for government use only, there are none to be found. Help!! haha. I would much rather get this one working rather than buying a new one.
Well...it all depends. It might not even be a VHF radio for that matter, which means it's pretty well useless. However, even if it was, I doubt your employer would allow it (and, honestly, only someone very stupid would reprogram a government issue radio still owned by the government).

On the bright side, using it regularly, I'm sure you know that these commercial radios are very high quality pieces of equipment. I'd say hunt around on eBay for another Motorola radio (they have 99 channel "railfan" MT1000's pre-programmed with the railroad frequencies and 2 NOAA frequencies, RX only of course). Or, you could pick up another radio and have it programmed...such as another MTS2000 (these are very nice radios), or a Systems Saber, or an HT1250...there's many possibilities.

Feel free to shoot me a PM about this...

As for you, Btkspot89, I would say the same thing. Your profile mentions you being an EMT, which leads me to believe you use this very same Motorola technology, and I'm sure you notice a difference when using your scanner. Ham radios would definitely do the job, but I'd much sooner opt for a commercial radio (IE Motorola). The same radios mentioned above would work well (actually, I used to have an old Pro-82 with an un-tuned antenna, so I know the EXACT boat you're in!).

Mind you, however, the radios above are just portables...if you want a mobile unit for your car, let me know and I can come up with further suggestions. And, if programming is an issue, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Hope this helps! And trust me, you won't regret it!

by Tom Curtin

capecodlocoguy wrote:Don't count on the FCC re-allocating railroad frequencies in the 800mhz range anytime soon. The cost to the railroads would be huge!!
Yes I can imagine it would be huge. This wholesale shift from the 160-mHz VHS ground transportation band to the 800 mHz UHF band would render every railroad radio in the country (Can you imagine how many??)obsolete! I presume VHF band radios and UHF band radios are different beasts and that the existing VHF band radios would need to be replaced outright

by Btkspot89

Conrail4evr wrote:
TheKornGuy wrote:Nick,

As for you, Btkspot89, I would say the same thing. Your profile mentions you being an EMT, which leads me to believe you use this very same Motorola technology, and I'm sure you notice a difference when using your scanner. Ham radios would definitely do the job, but I'd much sooner opt for a commercial radio (IE Motorola). The same radios mentioned above would work well (actually, I used to have an old Pro-82 with an un-tuned antenna, so I know the EXACT boat you're in!).

Mind you, however, the radios above are just portables...if you want a mobile unit for your car, let me know and I can come up with further suggestions. And, if programming is an issue, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Hope this helps! And trust me, you won't regret it!
Indeed I run with the Morris Mintue Men First aid squad (you might have seen our blue ambulances around depending if you live in the NJ area) But yeah we use both VHF and UHF radios. With our repeater on top of the Headquaters Plaza hotel. As for out actual radios... for VHF mobiles we use the famous 100 watt Motorola maratracs and or UHF Mobiles we use CMD1250's. Handhelds for VHF's we use HT1250's and for UHF's we use HT1250's as well as HT1000's. If any of you guys are around feel free to listen in on either our VHF band (155.2800) or the UHF band (460.2875) which is actually our RF link to our VHF transmitter. With a callsign of KQL799.
  by EdM

seems to be a national EMS/Hosp frequency..
and dont forget the IC32 HT, it has a sensitiviy specification (something scanners do not have) and it is easier than easy to program, via the computer as well is by hand, it fact I take the manual with me, I don't know how to change things without the computer.. BTW it also talks on 2 and 450. Ed