• Brill motorcar restoration - M-405 on the DURR

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

I am about to become involved with a restoration of a Brill motorcar up on the Delaware & Ulster Railroad. The car will be restored to New York Central colors and markings. I'll get more data as I dig it up, but I was wondering if there were any other NYC Brill cars extant? Any restored? Any similar cars? The car in question is stored servicable and needs a cosmetic restoration and a mechanical tune-up to return to service.

Any information or leads would be appreciated.

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

I am beginning to explore the options in bringing M-405 back to life. An interesting side note about this car is that it once operated on the Putnam Division. If that doesn't get you excited, nothing will. The DURR is interested in bringing this car back to service, and it will go into their newly expanded shop at Arkville, NY for some much needed attention. The intention of the majority of folks is to restore the unit to it's NYC paint- dark green, white and black safety stripes, and NEW YORK CENTRAL lettering down the sides. A great opportunity awaits!

The work wont be easy. The motor is in sound shape. A lot of cosmetic work must be completed. The wooden roof is in need of attention. Many items need to be checked. I will offer more details as they become available.

by mowretired

Otto, Great pic. thanks. I thought you were working on a motorcar like an A9 or something of that sort. Is this car powered by traction motors or is it mechanical?
Tom

by John P.

Now that looks like a great project. I am surprised it survived and so close to home too. They were from the 1930s with a gas engine right? Who made the engine by the way? I have only seen them in book photos and as an HO model that my Dad bought two of.

by Otto Vondrak

I believe this Brill is a gas-electric- gasoline motor powering a generator to power up traction motors. Yes, they are from the 1930s. Quoted from my book, "Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County":
In an effort to reduce the high costs of operating passenger trains on low-density branch lines, the New York Central turned to a fleet of gas-mechanical and gas-electric motor cars. Less expensive than a conventional train of coaches pulled by a locomotive, the motor cars may have helped the bottom line, but were a poor substitute for good service. The cars operated with varying degrees of mechanical reliability, and passengers often complained of fumes that would seep into the coach section. The Central used a sizeable fleet of motor cars from Brill, St. Louis Car Co., Sykes, Standard Steel, and Osgood-Bradley around the system since the 1920s. Motor cars didn’t make their debut on the Put until Depression-era economics forced their appearance in the early 1930s. When the motor cars would tow a coach or trailer, they would be prone to breakdowns and require a steam engine to rescue the train. Increased traffic during World War II forced the return to conventional trains, and the motor cars were eventually phased out and retired.
-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

Some more details about the M-405...

Vital Stats:

built: J. G. Brill
year built: 1928
number: M-206 renumbered M-405
horsepower: 250hp
coach seating: 21
smoking section seating: 10
baggage section seating: 9
length: 73'0"

Here she is at Harmon, 1939:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/nycM405.jpg

On the defunct Wolfeboro (New Hampshire) Railroad, 1977:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_wo405.jpg

At Arkville, NY on the DURR, 1987:
http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 827617.jpg

At Arkville, protected by heavy-duty tarp, 2007:
http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 912988.jpg
Motor Train #405 had been built for the New York Central System in 1928 by the J.G. Brill Co. of Philidelphia, as NYC's M-206. In 1937, it was renumbered to M-405. This 73 foot unit was built as a Mail-Baggage-Passenger car, and served the NYC on its Toledo & Ohio Central line, as well as others. It was sold to the Canada & Gulf Terminal in 1947. M-405 was transported to Wolfeboro and went into service on the WRR branch in 1977. In 1979, it was sold to the Old Colony & Newport Railroad in Rhode Island.
--Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society
I have been told that the M-405 arrived on the DURR in 1983.

by TB Diamond

Otto:

The 1983 date for the arrival of M-405 at DURR is correct. Rode behind the car on the opening day of excursion service on 12 June 1983.