• Book: The New York Connecting Railroad

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by John W.

Take the "facts" presented in this book with a grain of salt. There seems to have been little or no proofreading. A couple of examples: On page 75 the Roster of Steam Locomotives Assigned (?) to the N.Y.C.R. shows the New Haven class I-5 being used there as well as being built in 1916. On page 78 the list of electric locomotives assigned to the NYCR shows the New Haven EF-4s as numbered 0300 through 0326. The text of the book also provides conflicting and questionable "facts".
The above comments not withstanding, I like the book and am enjoying it and have no regrets about buying it. Just be aware that it's not Gospel.
John W.

by Noel Weaver

Often there are errors in books and unfortunately some people take what
they read in some of these error prone books as "gospel" when it is far
from the truth.
Just for the record, who wrote this book and who published it?
Noel Weaver

by Howiew

The book was written by Robert C. Sturm & William G. Thom. Published by The Long Island - Sunrise Trail Chapter of the NRHS.
I picked up the book at the Syracuse train show about two weeks ago. Got the last one about two hours into the show on Saturday. That's how popular it is.

by Otto Vondrak

One of those typo's is my fault. Unless you want to believe that the EP-5's were built in 1055 and not 1955.

-otto-

by Sir Ray

Otto Vondrak wrote:One of those typo's is my fault. Unless you want to believe that the EP-5's were built in 1055 and not 1955.
And used by William the Conquerer during the Norman Invasion of England 11 years later...
Oh well, sounds like a second printing is needed if the book is selling that fast - can they fix typos between printing (well, I suppose they can - will they)?
  by John W.

If there is to be a second printing of this book I hope they get some input from the PRR and Long Island RR people as well.