• BNSF test/interview

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by gcadays99

Hi recently my fiance and I decided to move out to Alliance, NE where she has alot of family and wants to finish nursing school. Her dad lives out there and had worked for BNSF till he got hurt. He recomeneded it to me so I went to their site and saw listings for Track maintenence and Conductor trainee. He recomended conductor but I applied for both since I kinda want to make sure I get at least one. Well I got 2 seperate e-mails about a day a part setting up 2 different testing and interview dates for both jobs. The maintenence job is next week while the conductor is the following week. I would rather have the conductor job but still kind of unsure and want to go to both test dates in case I wouldn't get the conductor offer. My question is if I go to the maintenence one while they offer employment right away? It kind of seems like they will in the e-mail. If they do can I still go to the conductor test date and try for that job also? Any advice would be great.

by route_rock

IT takes a bit for both really. You will have time to decide which job you want .
  by jz441

gcadays99 wrote: My question is if I go to the maintenence one while they offer employment right away? It kind of seems like they will in the e-mail. If they do can I still go to the conductor test date and try for that job also? Any advice would be great.
No they will not offer you the job right a way, unless they are very desperate. Make sure that you mention them that you also applied for a conductor position, and that conductor job is the one that you prefer. I'm not quite sure, but I think that the pre-employment test is the same one that the conductors take. Also if you do come in as a track laborer, you can transfer to the operations after one year of service.
Good luck!

by helenthl

I did the same thing. Applied and tested for both positons recently. I was told that IF I came in on the MOW position I WOULD NOT be able to transfer to the conductor's position at any time in the near future since they are so short on MOW workers. Even if my seniority allowed it the manpower issue would not. I explained in my interviews that I had applied for both. I got an email asking me which position I prefered. I chose the conductor of course.

Good luck and if I can be of any help please ask.

by gcadays99

well got a conditional offer of employment for the MOW job and on monday they will call to set up the strength test. Did all the drug tests, and medical tests already. I asked if its ok if I go to the conductor trainee test this next week and they said yes but if I accept a job offer from one only then will I be disqualified from the other. I even think that I can skip the majority of the tests because they let people who had passed the test recently skip it for the MOW job. I'm going to ask them when I go up to the conductor test that if I get offered the job for MOW if that means I'll probably get the conductor job too. I'd assume so but not for sure. Do any of you know if I get offered one job can I say I applied for the other and ask right then if I can get the one I prefer?

by helenthl

I also applied and tested for both. I did not have to take the MOW test since I already took it for the conductor BUT they are scored differently so do not count on getting the conductor just because you passed for MOW. Because of staffing needs I was told that almost everone who applied for the MOW the day I was there, would be offered a job. On the other Hand, when I tested for the conductor, there were @ 60 people for 6 positions. I was given the choice and started as a conductor trainee this past Monday. I love it so far. Since I was in a very similar situation VERY recently, let me know if I can help at all.

by gcadays99

Thanks for the response I head back out to Alliance for the conductor test on tuesday they seem to answer questions rather willingly there so I hope I can find out then. On a side note on our way into town there was a wreck earlier that morning one train rear ended a stopped one and derailed so got to drive by that while entering town noone wa shurt though.