• BNSF Northern California Division...Help!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by SteelWheels21

AFTER 3 MONTHS I FINALLY GOT A JOB OFFER FOR CONDUCTOR TRAINEE!! OK, enough excitement. The problem is that my home base will either be Stockton or Bakersfield depending on my choice. I was totally unimpressed with Stockton when I was there for my interview, but I'm told that Bakersfield is even worse. Any of you guys work out of these towns, or have in the past? Pros and Cons would definitely be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  by outdoorbob

Having spent time in both locations as a railroader I would choose Stockton if it were me. I think the proximity to the Bay area and Sacramento are pluses and for someone from Portland there would be less of a culture shock than relocating to Bakersfield. If you don't mind a 30-45 mile drive there are any number of nice communities around Concord, South Sacramento or even over towards the foothills though that could be a slow drive across the valley.
Good luck.