• BNSF Hiring Session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by hooked up

I will be attending my first BNSF Conductor Trainee hiring session in a week. I know a lot about UP hiring sessions both from this site and personal experience, but it seems like I haven't read near as much about the BNSF process. Who usually conducts the interviews? On the UP, it seems to be the local MTO and one HR rep. About how many people usually attend a BNSF session? What are the latest entrance tests like? What is the physical ability test like? (The UP changed theirs a few months ago....) Any "heads up" I can get would be appreciated! :wink:

by wolfe

I have been to one for CSX and Norfolk Southern, but not BNSF. The other 2 had the "personallity test" and a general knowledge test. No other testing involved at the hiring session. With NS once you get a "conditional offer", you do drug, hearing and vision tests. They also start the "background check". Once you pass that you get to start training. The strength testing is done during training. I would bet CSX and BNSF are similar. Good luck!

by narsgrad

hooked up, the hiring session i attended (last December), had about 150 individuals attemnd.

The terminal super., training coordinator., a trainmaster as well as the HR rep. were all "leading" the event. They go into detail about the lifestyle, job , etc. Pretty much like the UP probably does. They also explain the background check (former felons, those w/outstanding warrants, etc). After that, they give you a short break that allows those not interested or not qualified to leave (as not to embarass?).

When you return, you're given the TCAT (Train Conductor Apptitude Test). It takes a couple of hours. Then you take a hair folicle drug test.
Following these steps, you're assigned a time slot (usually 15 minute intervals) for an interview. Our group took 2-days to interview everyone.

You get the results beginning about a week later (that was my case...some sooner, some later).

The strength test, medical, etc. followed after a "conditional" offer was made (passing TCAT, interview, drugs, etc.).

If all checks out, you're given a start date for class.

Good luck to you.