• BNSF conductor info.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bearfandan

If I were to get hired in the chicago area, what kind of gross pay can I expect on a weekly basis after graduation? As of now, I am topped out in my industry. Ever since the national "do not call" law took effect, my business place has lost approx. 25% of its client volume. I made $72,000 last year on a commission basis and am a married home owner. Can I make the transition financially from my current job to the railroad? I can not take a pay cut of more than 20-25 thousand per year or I will not make my monthly bills. Please give me as much feed back as possible as to your info will weigh greatly in my decision to a career change. Thanx.

by freshmeat

The following is cut from the BNSF web site.

"Conductors earn an average of $67,128. BNSF employees receive annual benefit packages averaging $22,986. "

There are many variables to be considered. These include:

whether or not you can hold a job year round at your local terminal. (It is my understanding that this should not be a problem in Chicago.)

The type of job you can hold: switchman, brakeman and conductor.

Type of job: yard, local or road pool.

There is also one thing to be considered. It is my understanding that new hires hired after July 1, 2004, will only make 75% of normal wages for the first year. So after the 13 week training, you can expect to make about $40,000 for the first year. You'll want to check this out at the orientation session. When I interviewed with BNSF, they were more than willing to give us almost any information we asked for. I cannot imagine that they would not be up front with that info.

I can certainly understand the position you are in. I am 44 and was just hired. A lot of my classmates are family men and homeowners. If you can take the initial pay cut during training and the first year, the pay and benefits will come. In the next 3-5 years, BNSF anticipates that between 25-35% of the workforce will become eligible for retirement. That does not mean they will take it, but from what I hear, most will.

Watch the BNSF web site for announcements for openings in your area. You'll have to apply on line and unlike some companies, BNSF's web based application process works. For example: I applied to the Union Pacific in February. On March 15, 2004, I saw that they were reviewing my applicaiton. TO THIS DAY, UP is still reviewing my application. Be as complete as possible, but most of all, be truthful and accurate. BNSF has a reputation for checking out your application and past employment history.

Your benefits start the first day of the 5th month after you start training. I began training in May, my benefits begin September 1.

Probation is 8 weeks. After probation, you are covered by the collective bargaining agreement.

Training is 13-15 weeks. (Depends on location.) Mix of classroom and OJT. Very will organized and laid out. Instructors have many years of experience. Personally, I think it is one of the best in-house training programs I've experienced. I worked for Boeing for 15 years and the military before that.

The pay is good, but you'll earn it. All hours, all weather, every day of the week, including most holidays.

If you're considering it, get in now. Seniority is everything.

Good luck.

by bearfandan

Thanks for the info Freshmeat. Couple of questions though. Are you at 100% pay or at the 75%? Is BNSF the last railroad company to go to the 5% per year pay scale? And does the union plan on trying to restructure it back to 100% after graduation or probation? It sure seems like a low rate of pay at 75% considering the type of schedule you have to work. Does anyone anticipate problems in the way of people not sticking around due to the pay rate? I don't know if your familiar with the chicagoland suburbs but for $40,000 a year, I'd be close to broke in this area.

by freshmeat

Dear Bearfandan:

At the present time, I am at 100%. I can't address the other lines pay scale. BNSF would be able to tell you more at the orientation session.

As far as the union goes, I am sure they would like to eliminate the 75% pay scale. It would be big feather in their cap. Unfortunately the labor market under George II is a buyers market and the companies know it. Until the economy begins to create real jobs that pay real wages (hopefully), the companies are in the drivers seat. The carriers have not begun to reap the repercussions of their 75% pay scale yet. Perhpas if they start to loose people due to the pay scale, they'll rethink their penny picking ways. But for right now, the railroads are about the only industry that is paying real wages and employing people in significant numbers. Until they find a way to allow (or be allowed) to run remotely operated trains operate in metro areas without human crews, trainmen and engineers are fairly secure.

Not being from Chicago, I dont know first hand about the cost of living (COL). All I know is that I look at the pay scales in the Chicago metro area and I know there is no way I would live there for what the railroads pay. I live in a town of about 8,000 and the pay here is comperable to Chicago. When I worked for Boeing I looked at a job in So. Cal. Hell the COL is double than KS and the company did not pay all that much more to live there. I don't know when the next collective bargaining agreement comes up for negotiation but it really doesn't matter since the union cant strike under the Railway Labor Act. Without the ability to strike the company knows it can and will drag its feet.

I hope this answered more questions than it created. If you have anything more you want to know, please ask. I'll be more than happy to tell my side the RR. Also, the other particpants on this bulletin board are more than willing to share their collective experience. It is a great source of info.

Good luck.