• Blissville Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by DogBert

I think I passed there 2 or 3 weeks ago and saw nothing out of the norm.

The other customer next the greenpoint ave bridge that gets the covered hoppers is still just as busy as ever though.
  by The Tenth Legion

Anything going on at Blissville Yard yet? Thanks.
  by DogBert

Not a thing.
  by The Tenth Legion

Still re-habbed, but unused???
  by greenpointmike

I've been by it a couple times on the road that leads to the sanitation depot. Never saw anything on the trackage.
  by Teutobergerwald

Have any customers displaced by the stone customer in Maspeth Ave. Yard started taking their cars at Blissville Yard, or is the yard still unused?
  by DogBert

I severely doubt they moved there. There's not really a space to unload boxcars there. Maybe if they took down some trees and made a small driveway.
  by jtunnel

Drove through the area last Thursday. Nothing. Rails are as rusty as the last time I passed through.
  by jtunnel

Looks like ther might be some action at the yard soon. The Waste Management faciility on Review Avenue has reportedly cleared another hurdle to use the private road near the tracks to shuttle MSW cans to the Blissville Yard from their facility.

http://habitatmap.org/markers?marker_id=127
  by DogBert

So I take it that plan to truck containers to Maspeth yard is off the table? Blissville makes so much more sense being so close by and not involving city streets.
  by Teutobergerwald

Is Blissville Yard accessible at both it's east & west ends, or is it stub-ended at the west end? Also, how many tracks does it have? Is it getting used yet? Thanks.
  by Shavano

Stub ended on the east end, access into the yard at the west end. Originally it was a double ended storage yard to alleviate the traffic in Pond, transfer runs would be run back and forth between the two locations and Yard A and later became a deadline location for rollingstock and locomotives that didn't end up in Corona. Last time I was down there it was still empty... 4 tracks with a short lead on the east end, no switch connecting to the main.
  by DogBert

Still empty, drove by sunday.
  by DogBert

*BOOP!* It finally happened.

Blissville is now being used to store 3 strings of CEFX cars. Looks like about 20 cars total. There were some small plants growing in the east switch, and the cars are stored more towards the west end - so I'm guessing the cars were backed in from the west (which meant the train had to cross the drawbridge - probably the first time in a very long time that a freight used that bridge). I'm guessing they've only been there a month or two tops, as I pass through there pretty often and didn't see them last time I went by.

Realistically, all of the cars could probably have fit 2 of the tracks, so the 3 cuts might be some indication that they get shuffled in and out every now and then.

These are the same cars that I believe are used by gershow and floated out via NYNJRR. They used to store these extra cars in 65th street 3 years ago. (65th is empty except for the nynjrr activity on the lead to BAT - passed there sat. night too).

So I guess the question is: is NY&A suddenly short of storage space elsewhere that they've started using Blissville?
  by freightguy

I guess no movement with the refinery blending ethanol to move out to Calverton utilizing that trackage. Which is ashame NYA growth has been anemic at best in the past few years. I heard there is a dispute with who will maintain the track and the fees associated with Calverton Ind park between Town of Riverhead and NYAR. The economy plays a a part of course, but on the CSX inbound most of the cars are empty C&D/waste hoppers. Low revenue which requires a bulk move of a lot cars to earn their keep. A steady flow of stone from the Conn side also helps the bottom line I guess too. I thought NYAR would be a little further along at this point. The other 2 Anancostia&Pacific properties move alot more. CSS&SB and PHL move alot more cars in Chicago area and the latter in the Los Angeles terminal area. The total trackage operated may be alot less also on the other 2 main A&P properties...