• Best place on Long Island for train watching? Fresh Pond?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Rob94hawk

My son and I are huge rail fans. We were at Horseshoe Curve a few months ago and we were wondering where the best place is for some NY&A action! We used to go to the Ronkonkoma station around 10:30 to catch a few freight trains but we'd like to see some action at Fresh Pond if possible. I've read that they pretty much have the place on lockdown but if you get permission ahead of time you might get access for a bit. Or if there's another place that you gentlemen know of we would greatly appreciate it. We live in Suffolk County but after Horseshoe Curve no drive is too far for some train action! Thanks!
  by csx8851

You can try the entrance on Otto Rd, its usually facing right into the yard and its always open. When I called Fresh Pond, they said that you can go in, talk to the people in the office and they will monitor you. So thats your way into the yard. Good luck and let me know how it goes. :wink:
  by RRJS3

The New Highway crossing in Farmingdale is a pretty good place to catch some action after about 9 PM on weeknights. On the east side is Coastal Distribution, which ships out C&D, and on the west side is Posillico which brings in stone loads. Coastal's served just about every night, the stone deliveries...a little less so. The RS80 crew operates out of Fresh Pond and usually arrives between 9 and 10 to switch this area. Additionally, the RS50 crew goes west around this time...this is a through job between Pineaire and Fresh Pond, and it's not unusual for it to be over 50 cars.

No promises of course, but this is a good spot...your chances are pretty good. Best of luck
  by FarRock41

Mineola, near Nassau tower was a good place to watch trains. You can see LIRR trains and the NYA. Usually you can find parking as well. Good luck!