• Barden's homes no longer shipping by rail?

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

by NS59

Looks like Barden's Homes in Middleport, NY may be done shipping by rail. I went by there the other day and the switch had been removed.

by med-train

I don't think that they ever shipped by rail. Shipping is usually done by truck. Each shipment goes directly to the construction job site and is set in place right away from the truck.
They have received a lot of their lumber needs by rail.
  by Luther Brefo

NS59 wrote:Looks like Barden's Homes in Middleport, NY may be done shipping by rail. I went by there the other day and the switch had been removed.
Could it be that the switch is being replaced?

by seldom

Barden homes has not shipped homes that I have ever heard of. The last load going in there was nearly five years ago. Indications were that they would not ever recieve lumber by rail again, so the switch came out. One less problem to worry about.

by NS59

sorry if the post was misunderstood, Barden's had been occasionally receiving lumber by rail over the years. The switch and some rail have been removed, leading me to believe Barden's may no longer be a FRR customer.

by seldom

NS59,
You got it right. No longer a customer.
Switch came out to eliminate costs of maintaining it and less chance of someone playing with it and throwing it. Was spiked but you know how the kids are today. Don't have enough to do.