• B&M Woodchip Cars

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by bumthum

I am under the impression that B&M used converted hoppers to provide woodchips to several customers in New Hampshire (and maybe other places as well). Does anyone know what class/type of hoppers these were, or were they some other specific type of car?
  by bmcdr

The B&M rostered 20 "Wood Chip Cars". There were two types, all were rebuilt from Hopper Cars, all were in dedicated woodchip service to Woodsville,N.H.

The cars were numbered 7500 - 7501 and 7502 - 7519.
7500 - 7501 were converted from 3-bay, ribbed side hopper cars equipped with Andrews trucks that were purchased in 1964 and were off the roster by 1970.
7502 - 7519 were converted from 3-bay, offset side hopper cars equipped with Bettendorf trucks that were also purchased in 1964.

They were easy to recognize by their 5 foot extended sides and ends with lettering extending almost the whole side of the extension that read:
WOODCHIP SERVICE
RETURN TO
WOODSVILLE, N.H.
Below, on the regular car sides, was the usual reporting marks and a large white and blue BM emblem on the 7502 - 7519, and a smaller BM emblem on the upper right car side on the 7500 - 7501.
1 7500.jpg
The bottom photo shows three of these cars hastily pressed into service without the WOODCHIP SERVICE lettering.
1 7501.jpg
  by downeaster

Does anyone have a photo of the insides of one of these hopper, any braces and better yet a copy of the B&M Historical Society Jan. 1987 Note #7 , and article on building one of these that they could share. Thanks, jim
  by oldho

I too am interested in the B&M Woodsville hoppers. I am trying to model some of these cars, and I can't tell if they had interior bracing to keep the side extensions from bowing from the pressure of the wood chip loads. Does anyone know please? :-D
  by RRFAN

USA Train Create a B&M woodchip car in G Scale.
  by BM1575

Not sure If anyone knew this but Athearn is coming out with the B&M woodchip cars in Ho scale in late June 2016. Their will be 2 4 pack car sets and pre orders are being taken by athearn and local hobby retailers.