• August 3-5, 1993

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Engineer James

I was a young sprout when I remember this. It was on the Toldeo Subdivision headed toward Wayne Yard,, In Southgeast Michigan. My grandfather had sadly passed away on August 3rd. We (my family and I) were coming across the M-153 (Ford Rd.) Bridge over the tracks. Soon my mom spotted smkoe. She pointewd the car down a truck route, which parellels the bridge. Soon, We hear the whristle. A 4-8-4 Northern (Had the big boards up front around the boiler) comes haulking down the line carrying a train of atleast 20 gray passenger cars (All windows gone). Does anybody know what was happening, why it was there?

by ACLfan

Uh, Engineer James, you are going to have to help me out here.

You mentioned in your post that you were "a young sprout" in August, 1993.

We are about to clean out 2005, so August 1993 was almost 8 1/2 years ago.

By my reckoning, you are still "a young sprout".

And, you actually saw an active steam loco in 1993?!!!

It must have been an excursion train, with coaches borrowed from some museum or equipment dealer. I sure would like to know where that steam loco came from!

As always,

ACLfan

by Engineer James

ACLfan, I wa saround 5.

I don't however think it was an excursion.... all the coach windows were broken. And not to mention, the Steamer was on the main line!!! It was a thrill.

by Engineer James

Also, How many 4-8-4's are running? I know of at least 1. UP #844. I remember it was like UP when it was in the coal balck and not the two-tone gray. However, another amazing thing... Had NO roadname if I remember, I think it did have a roadnumber though.... Could have been a test run for PM #1225 (Because the Bluewater Chapter of NRHS has an office in Plymouth, They own #1225... However, I do not think so Because i remember it having the boards on the front of the bolier like UP #844, So I know is was a northern. :-D
  by Matt Langworthy

Possibly you saw Ohio Central's 4-8-4 6325, although I don't think she was restored to service until 1998. Are you sure of the date, James?

by Engineer James

I am positive. IT was at least 2 days after my grand dad died on August 3rd. I KNOW IT WAS. Have a pic?

by Engineer James

NO, definately not. It had the side boards like UP #844. And also had the spoked wheels, like it too. Could it have been???? Before repaint?