• Athearn Motors

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by SD45Jim

Is it worth trying to sell a bunch of Athearn Geep motors? Would people buy them off of e-bay or some other Internet auction? I have had lots of success with my 6-axle Athearn motors - they never burn up! So would anyone want to buy unused Athearn motors?

Thanks!

Jim

by JDFX

Jim,

My advice, just keep them. Though the Athearn Motor is rather rugged, Murphy's Law dictates that if you get rid of them, then you'll start having motor failures.

It not like eggs, Motors don't go bad sitting around.

Joe.
  by SD45Jim

I agree - it is great to have an extra motor or two around. However, I will soon have 50 extra motors around! A friend of mine has ordered 50 GP-38-2s to use as advertisement. I will letter and paint them and he will give them to his customers. They will all be screwed down to a 9" piece of wood and track, so they will not get much opportunity to run!

So, I wondered if it is worth pulling all the motors and trying to sell a few of them.

Thanks!

Jim

by Otto Vondrak

couldn't find dummies for that project, eh?

Consider posting your motors for sale in our For Sale forum.

-otot-
  by SD45Jim

Athearn was easy to work with, but it took Horizon Hobby, Inc. a little while to come through. I talked with a man at Athearn and he located some dummy Geeps. But we had to go through Horizon Hobby, Inc., and it took a while to get everything comminicated properly (she quoted prices for powered locos first). When it came time to actually find undecorated, unpowered Geeps, they could not find 50 that were the same. The lady at Horizon Hobby, Inc. did not understand that we were willing to mix and match different locomotives - we just wanted 50 undecorated, dummy locomotives.

The owner that wanted them decided he could pay for powered locomotives and get them immediately. So we have 50 GP-38-2s on the way. I will add decals and Dullcote them, then add the handrails and paint those. Then we will screw them to a piece of track attached to a board. He will give these to his potential customers as advertisement. Needless to say, the locomotives will get little runtime! So, I was wondering if anyone ever needs replacement Athearn motors. The six or so 6-axle Athearn locomotives that I have run great and have been running great for several years. So I don't know how many people would want a motor. But it never hurts to post and see if anyone wants them!

Thanks for all your help!

Jim

by graftonterminalrr

Say, if I sent you a dummy frame with dummy trucks would you send me a pwered frame with motor, etc?

Also, I'm converting an Athearn dummy P42 that I got super cheap at a train show to power. If I sent you the dummy trucks would you send me a motor, the shafts, and a pair of power trucks?
  by denis

Jim,
It certainly wouldn't hurt to try eBay. Also, places like Renbrandt Hobbies in Ohio, or other parts suppliers, might have an interest.
Denis

by Otto Vondrak

Or, just leave the motors in the engines. No one will notice either way.

-otto-
  by rnetzlof

First, you save yourself time and effort by not removing them.

Second, it may be that in the lucky fifty will be one or more who will want to remove the screws, take the locomotive off the display track, and run it on their layout.

by graftonterminalrr

Okay, an addendum to my previous post...

If I can send you a powered Athearn Trainmaster, undec, would you send me a Geep? The Trainmaster's a big 6 axle unit too... larger advertising space, lol.