• Applying to railroads: Northern Idaho, Washington or Montana

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by DMC68

Hey, I work for a plant in SoCal as a switchman. I drive a single switch engine, and basically just set up exports and organize our yard and stuff for the railroad. I have been doing this for about two years now.

My wife's parents will be moving to northern Idaho and I have been trying to move my family up there myself. I noticed in Sandpoint there are a few railroads; Bnsf, UP and some other I can't remember off the top of my head. I have been following them for a few months now and I haven't seen a single opening. I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea just to give them a call and maybe send them my resume? I'm not sure what their hiring policy is like. So I don't know if they would even consider hiring me. But I would like your thoughts, thanks!
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Forum changed, topic title clarified.
  by tundraboomer

Hope the Seattle gig works out but if not, check Watco and G&W up there too. I frequently see job postings for both of them in the region.
  by Engineer Spike

I have a friend who got cut off where I work. He went to MRL, and said that they have been on a hiring spree. After a few months, he was holding a day yard, ex. Sat. and Sun.