• Another UP question?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Timberman

I've read this entire forum so if some of this seems redundant I'm sorry.

I have applied for a Train Service job here in Louisiana and had a couple of questions about it. First, here is my background.

I am 34 yrs. old and work as a forester. I have a BS in Forest Mgt. and have worked for the same company for 8 years. My current job requires me to work outside in all weather conditions as I work primarily in the woods. I work around logging equipment on a regular basis and I'm capable of operating the equipment if need be. While attending college, I worked contruction during summers in the refineries/chemical plants in the area. The contruction jobs included shift work, BTW.

Would UP be interested in my previous work experience? Is my age a problem? Even though I have some management experience, I prefer to be work in the field.

Am I wrong in thinking that the fact that I work outdoors, travel w/ my current job, I'm a loyal employee(8yrs), and heavy equipment experience is something that UP like?

I am wanting a career change since I am maxed out on my current salary at approx. $50K/yr. The RR appeals to me since it is outside physical work that seems to allow an individual the chance for advancement. Please don't misunderstand me, I have know problem paying my dues if there are future opportunities.

I know there will be a substantial paycut initially, but how long will it take to achieve my current pay? I've tried to figure out the pay scales in this forum but that is a science in itself.

Thanks!

by rhallanger

You're a bright guy, the things that you are emphasizing (plus add something about safety) is what they want to hear. He travels, works odd hours, shift work, outdoors, (maybe something about safety/clean record). Oh, plus you work around equipment. You have a great chance.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working for the RR right now.

by Timberman

In the 8 yrs I've been at my current job I once fell on a tre root and broke a rib; however I only missed one day of work from the incident. Do you think this will be a problem?
  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

You better believe they will hold that against you-there buddie. If you did that while working for the railroad they would write you up for damaging railroad property--------------------your ribs!!!!!!LOL

Sounds like you have a great chance to get hired----just stay positive and be persistant with attending hiring sessions and like federal agent man stated----they love to hear the words safety come out of your mouth when you talk.

Good luck,

NN

by Timberman

How political is the hiring process?

by mikesummer

Buddy, you sound exactly like me. I just started at the railroad not too long ago as an F & O. I am 31, have a Bachelor's Degree, and was formerly a computer programmer and even spent some time as an Assistant Vice President of Software Development for a very large financial institution. I hated every day of it, but I did it long enough to get my house and vehicles paid off. Now I make a fraction of what I used to make, but I love my job (even though I get picked on a lot for being the new guy). I've got my first baby on the way and it is somewhat scary, but I don't regret leaving the office for a minute. I used to work a maintenance job in H.S. and college and it was the best. I knew I needed to somehow get back to working with my hands and being outside.

Good luck to you and I hope you get on at the railroad and that you are happy there. Personally, it took me a couple of years applying AND knowing people on the inside just to get an F & O job and I have a good work history. Yes, the railroad is a political place.

You may want to forget that you ever had that broken rib. It was probably just a dream. It never really happened. It was just a black and blue mark. Get the message? You are the safest person on the planet, you have never been injured and never will be. If they ask you in the interview what some reasons are that you might have to go home from work, your only answer should be family emergency or a death in the family. Don't you dare say "If I get hurt".

by slchub

Speaking of safety, I love this "new" one. A hogger was climbing off the motor, ballast underneath him gave way as he stepped off resulting in him tearing up his knee. Had to have surgery. Now the railroad is using GCOR 1.6 to fire him for awhile. You got love it. Get hurt, get fired.