• Another mystery Alco switcher

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by alcodude

Well, to get the ball rolling, the unit is an S3...

by Alcoman

Notice the unit to the right of it...It appears to be another Alco. :-D

by 2spot

Notice also the unit to the left of it, it appears to be a former BCRail C-630M. The S-3 seems to be sitting on tracks among the trade-ins.

by EDM5970

That switcher looks like it has been turned into a "critter" of some sort. Isn't that a muffler, Cat. or Cummins size, on top of the hood? And look at the fireman's side rear step. It looks more like a low level platform, where an operator could ride around with a belly-pack remote control.
  by H.F.Malone

The unit to the right of the S-switcher is a VGN-N&W-NH-PC-CR E-33 electric freight loco, just like CR 4601 (NH 300), now at RMNE in Connecticut (donated by GE about 1988 or so). There is one other, at Roanoke Transp. Museum, in VGN colors.

by N. Todd

As far as the rear steps, I can clearly see the bottom two.
While it's possible that this has been though somebody's shop, keep in mind that nearly all Cleveland (or other) Apparatus Shop 'conversions' have the engine in the radiator compartment and have the numberboards plated over; the large headlight is always replaced with a sealed-beam. What appears to be a muffler or spark arrestor happens to be located near the normally aspirated 539 exhaust.
For starters, the unit is for sure an S-3. Even if the trucks were swapped, the welded cab with small radiator prove otherwise.
The braket located aft of the radiator fan compartment may be a clue as to the unit's heritage.
Arnie, do you have the original slide/negatives?

by morscher

Hi.

Yes, I have the original slide. I looked at really closely, but have not found anything that I can help in identifying this litle engine.

Arnie Morscher

======================================
For starters, the unit is for sure an S-3. Even if the trucks were swapped, the welded cab with small radiator prove otherwise.
The braket located aft of the radiator fan compartment may be a clue as to the unit's heritage.
Arnie, do you have the original slide/negatives?
======================================

by SSW9389

Mystery solved. Southern Pacific S-3 #1029 was retired in late 1962 and traded in to GE on a U25B. The S-3 was retained by GE as a test track locomotive and renumbered #2901. Data from Extra 2200 South #56 Southern Pacific Roster Part III page 15 see note #72. Roster by Dan Dover and Joe Strapac. The unit was in service at the time X2200S published the roster early 1976. :wink:

by morscher

Wow, thanks. Now I can update the caption to the photo.

"Mystery solved. Southern Pacific S-3 #1029 was retired in late 1962 and traded in to GE on a U25B. The S-3 was retained by GE as a test track locomotive and renumbered #2901......"

by Alcoman

There is no need to have 3 threads on the same topic. This one is hereby locked.
John M