• Acela Express sets

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by R143MAN

Here are some pics from today!

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what is the number of the lead Acela? 2007?
  by R143MAN

The road is 2017. I have in my roster
1. 2002 custom made
2. 2003 factory
3. 2004 factory
4. 2006 factory
5. 2007 factory
7. 2017 factory
8. 2020 custom made
9. 2036 factory

Not in service
1. Another 2006 soon the be renumbered
2. Another 2007 sonn to be renumbered
3 I have planed to add another 2 locos to my fleet.

by rob5243

One minor complaint I have in regards to the road numbers on the power cars is that the type face is incorrectly bold. But then I'm a huge nerd about those kinds of things; otherwise it's an excellent set.
  by R143MAN

I think I got it corrected a little bit wit 2002 and 2020.

Well maybe not exactly right but close enough.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

nice 2020 loco., I have 2003-2004 ...i think that Bachman should have made the numbers exactly to the sets. like 2020-2009 etc.

i found out some info on the HHP-8, it will be $145 for one and release is scheduled for Sept.-Nov.

by unclepeat

Don't forget they made a very limited run of #2000 non-powered units.
It would be nice if they listed all the various numbers of all the coaches.
  by acelaman

I currently have four Acela sets with the following loco combinations, 2003/2006(dual powered), 2006/2007,2017/2036 and 2003/2004. I am currently looking to pick up a couple more complete sets. Looking to get the correct road number combos as per the prototypes, does anyone have any idea on renumbering the locos( i.e; decal font,type etc...)? any help is appreciated, Thanks
  by R143MAN

Hey I did it. Use your CPU, My numbers are more accruate than Bachmanns factory. And now since I am thinking about picking up 2 more dual sets I will be using the decal numbering sets even more. The font you need is frutiger. It works for Acela, Phase V AMD103 renumbering, and Atlas AEM-7 Acela paint renumbering, as well as the Phase V box cars. The way I did it is I match it as close as possible with my eye, if it was wrong started over. Took about a week to get focused and do it. Not to easy.

by astrosa

Seeing this thread reminded me, there's a future project that I'll be taking on at some point, but when I do I'll want to build a power chassis using components from the Acela drive (trucks, motor, flywheels, drive train). I figure I'll try writing to Bachmann's parts department to see if they'd sell those separately, but it would work just as well if I could get one secondhand from someone and just salvage the mechanism.

So, any of you have damaged or otherwise unwanted Acela equipment? My dummy unit also has a couple of scratches in the paint, so maybe I could get a spare shell or nose cone. Extra pantographs (if you switched to the Atlas pans) could come in handy for me too. Basically, if you have anything that's not needed, I could be interested.

R143MAN, where did you find the Frutiger font? I've been wanting to design custom decals for Acela and other equipment for a while, but while I do have a few hundred fonts, none of them quite matched. It's so much simpler doing Phase III and IV decals...everything's just basic Helvetica.

Thanks,

Alex Stroshane

by chewie8han

Where are you guys buying your sets/cars at? I have one set now (Boscov's post Christmas sale!!) and want to expand it. Cheap is always nice. Unfortunately, all of the local hobby stores don't carry this set or the cars (well I found one set for $260, but I'm not paying that when I bought mine for $120).

Thanks

PS..... FIRST POST!!
  by acelaman

I purhased my original set from the former NJT store. Followed that with the 3 remaining cars for a complete consist from a local hobby shop. The remainder of my Acela sets have been purchased through ebay. Some decent prices can be found and there seems to be an influx of Acela sets and cars on that site now. good luck.

by R143MAN

astrosa wrote:Seeing this thread reminded me, there's a future project that I'll be taking on at some point, but when I do I'll want to build a power chassis using components from the Acela drive (trucks, motor, flywheels, drive train). I figure I'll try writing to Bachmann's parts department to see if they'd sell those separately, but it would work just as well if I could get one secondhand from someone and just salvage the mechanism.

So, any of you have damaged or otherwise unwanted Acela equipment? My dummy unit also has a couple of scratches in the paint, so maybe I could get a spare shell or nose cone. Extra pantographs (if you switched to the Atlas pans) could come in handy for me too. Basically, if you have anything that's not needed, I could be interested.

R143MAN, where did you find the Frutiger font? I've been wanting to design custom decals for Acela and other equipment for a while, but while I do have a few hundred fonts, none of them quite matched. It's so much simpler doing Phase III and IV decals...everything's just basic Helvetica.

Thanks,

Alex Stroshane
acelaman Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:27 pm Post subject: acela express sets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purhased my original set from the former NJT store. Followed that with the 3 remaining cars for a complete consist from a local hobby shop. The remainder of my Acela sets have been purchased through ebay. Some decent prices can be found and there seems to be an influx of Acela sets and cars on that site now. good luck.

chewie8han Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:53 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are you guys buying your sets/cars at? I have one set now (Boscov's post Christmas sale!!) and want to expand it. Cheap is always nice. Unfortunately, all of the local hobby stores don't carry this set or the cars (well I found one set for $260, but I'm not paying that when I bought mine for $120).

Thanks

PS..... FIRST POST!!

Astrosa,
I have a cousin who works for Amtrak, and he got me amtraks offical paint scheme diagram. Its frutiger. Its not on MS word. Do a google search, and you'll see you will have to pay for it. But I used a closely match version, that was accurate!

Chewie8han,
My first set came from coscos, for $150 one christmas back in 2001, That was my test pilot set for my current order of 10 Acela sets. I ran 2003 so much that it is currently out of service dute to I have to change the trucks, I am plaing on sending it to bachmann to fix it. I really tested that one. Then in 2003 I bought the other set witch had 2017/2036 in it. Then 4 months ago I got a dual set off ebay for $70, and yesterday I took delivery of 2 more passenger cars. 12 total with about 10 or 12 more to go! Im tryin to get more of ebay. But hope things work out for you.

by Eric Mezzo

I got one for my birthday. I love it but there have to maybe one or more cars to make it look real.