• Abandoned trolley lines in Pa.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by theWatusi

JimBoylan wrote:ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BP ... r_1923.pdf

Above is a link to a map showing the West Chester - Lenape - Unionville - Kennett Square - Avondale or Wilmington trolley. However, Rte. 82 doesn't go to the Romansville on this map.
Do you have a link to the page that has an index of these maps?

**edit** found it.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bur ... CountyMaps
  by skm

"This line appears to have run north from Kennett Square paralleling Pa. 82 to Unionville. "

To add my $.02 into the discussion, could this line that parallels pa 82 be the old Pomeroy Branch of the PRR? (Pomeroy to Newark Del)
  by NE2

According to The Electric Interurban Railways in America the West Chester Street Railway operated rural trolleys until 1927. (Its lines went from West Chester to Coatesville and Kennett Square, apparently with an extension to West Grove via the former West Chester, Kennett and Wilmington Electric Railway after 1923.)
  by JimBoylan

The Chester County, Pa. map in the earlier link also shows the geographical relationship between the Pennsylvania Railroad's Pomeroy and Newark Branch and Pa. Rte. 82.
  by bhm

I don't think this was the Pomeroy and Newark. Although the northern section of the P&N ran roughly parallel to route 82, it was always more than half a mile west of the road (the closest stretch was just north of Doe Run Station off of Chapel Rd.) It doesn't appear on the county maps or later aerial photos, but is it possible that there was a branch off the West Chester and Kennett Electric Railway that ran west into Unionville at one time?
  by bhm

It may have been the Willowdale station on the West Chester & Kennett Electric Railway.
  by kevikens

It seems like a pretty substantial station for an interurban but perhaps somebody in this forum can go there and take a gander and figure out juat what it is.
  by NE2

There were no steam railroads through Willowdale, so if it was a station it was for the trolley, unless it was moved. Maybe you could stop by and ask?
  by kevikens

I really don't live near there. I was in Kennett Square for the day and just happened to drive through the area. I did ask the folks in the store. No one knew very much about the biulding, including the senior citizen who did remember the tracks. I inquired in buildings around the station but received blank stares or beats me responses. I did take a picture of it but being a digital troglydite ( and a devout Luddite) cannot post the image. It does not look like anything I ever saw on the Pennsy or Reading, more like something on the CNJ or perhaps the Erie. What we obviously need here is a railroad detective, perhaps a Pinkerton.
  by JimBoylan

It could have also been an electrical substation for the trolley, as well as a station for traffic.
What was the exact street location of the find in Romansville?