• Abandoned RR Tunnels in NYS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by henry6

Hawk Mt. tunnel is obliterated, west side done in by RT17, east sealed on private property.

by shlustig

DL&W Oswego Line tunneled under the NYC and West Shore at Syracuse Jct.

Tunnel approach on the south end was filled in c. 1986 and North approach was reconfigured to provide direct connection to the Baldwinsville Secondary in late 1970's.

by RussNelson

abaduck wrote:Don't forget the Dunderberg tunnel.
Of course! That one counts too. Here is the route as best I can trace it using Joe Brennan's maps and aerial photos:
http://rutlandtrail.org/gmap.cgi?dunder ... y.ny.track
Note that some portions were never graded, so that some of my route are simply guesses. Other portions remain obvious to this day.

by TB Diamond

Back in the early 1970s, while on a training mission with the NY Guard, I can recall seeing a portion of a tunnel portal in the Niagara River Gorge just south of Lewiston. Believe that this may have been the remains of a RW&O or NYC&HRRR Lewiston Branch tunnel.

by SST

This was the Great Gorge Railway that you were on. Last year I explored the northern end of it where it first decsends into the gorge. I rode my bike right up to where the final rock slide is that put it out of business.

This year I hope to go down the steps at the Whirlpool State Park north of Niagara Falls. It looks pretty steep so I'm trying to get in shape for the climb back up. I do have some pictures of the first trip but I'll hold off posting them until I do the next one. Actually, the tunnel is the reason I'm trying to get down there.

For further info on the Great Gorge Railway....see here http://www.iaw.com/~falls/greatgorge.html

by TB Diamond

Nope. We were standing on the gorge trolley line row and had to look up at the tunnel portal remains. Three rail lines operated through the gorge just south of Lewiston. They were, starting nearest to the river and working towards the top of the gorge: Niagara Falls & Lewiston RR (trolley), , NYC&HR RR (Lewiston Branch), NYC&HR RR (Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Div.) This information is from the USGS 1:62500 topo map of 1901 entitled Niagara River and Vicinity. Yes, the Whirlpool Park steps are steep. Climbed them a couple times in the late 1960s and early 1970s, but don't know how well I'd do now. Will look forward to reading about your future gorge exploits.

by scharnhorst

How about the DL&W Tunnel under the CSX Main Line in Solvay, NY? It started just under Willis Ave and streched all the way down passed the old Allied Signal Walkway over the CSX Main Line. It came out under the West Shores Plate Guarder Bridge and connected with the rest of the old DL&W Main line infront of Crusable Steel.

by RailMike

Does the East New York tunnel of the LIRR Bay Ridge branch have separate passageways for each of the formerly-4 tracks? If so, then add the three unused tunnels there.

On the west side of Manhattan, there is/was a nightclub called "The Underground" that was apparently located in an old railroad tunnel.

Don't forget the isolated sections of the 2nd Ave. MTA Subway line, though that might not remain abandoned for long.

by Reutling

I'm replying [ maybe incorrectly] to a thread march 2006,, abandoned tunnels in NYS

I rode through the NYC tunnel under city hall, have a vaigue recollection, and am wondering if anyone has a link or something which might lead me to info about the line, when abandoned etc?

thank you in advance

Ed reutling reutling[at]xtn.net

by Otto Vondrak

Hi Ed,

This might be better suited for our NYC Subway forum, but I think you are referring to the abandoned City Hall station in the active IRT subway tunnel in New York City. See: http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/cityirt.html

-otto-

by Reutling

I'm sorry-- I left a major word out in my inquiry--

The tunnel was/is in Oswego NY on the NYCentral line from Watertown NY to Richland then Pulaski [or the other way around - again I forgot] and on to Oswego.

by O-6-O

The north bore of StateLine is abandoned. The LV under the T-way is
bridge and not a tunnel.