• Abandoned Rail Yards/Lines

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by tahawus84

I am looking for a list of locations of abandoned rail yards east of the Mississippi. I am interested in rail yards of all sizes, and ones that still have rails in place but not used. I am also interested in small rail lines with the same criteria. Locations of the line and yards would be helpful. Thanks,
  by Ocala Mike

No small task, this. Abandoned since what year? 1950? 1975? 2000? No matter the answeryou give, abandonments of this type would number in the hundreds. I have no doubt that you will get answers on this forum concerning some of the larger yards/lines that were abandoned, but you really need to refine your search a little better.

by Otto Vondrak

Arrgh. All abandoned lines East of the Mississippi? Too broad. If you're looking for route information, I suggest the highly-detailed railroad atlases from Steam Powered Video. They are excellent resources, and show past and present routes. They are widely available from a variety of sources:

http://www.spv.co.uk/atlases.shtml

If you have a more specific question, or can tell us the purpose of your research, perhaps we can better serve you. But please don't ask us to identify every piece of abandoned rail in the East.

-otto-

by Gerry6309

Johns Hopkins Press puts out a quality series of Rail Atlases from the 1940s. There are several volumes, but they go for $65 each.