• 2 Meters on Amtrak?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by EdM

hey, we have the government we deserve. If you let Barney be Barney, we are all one step closer to Bagdad and Taliban control. Think it thru... The purpose of laws, lawyers, and the courts is to keep our government under control, and no branch of the government has the power to abuse us more than the local PD, therefore they must be watched the closest. Not the time to turn the other cheek. Ed

by james1787

DutchRailnut wrote:As long as your properly licenced to use a 2 meter rig you are ok , even if crew calls the fuss.
Somehow I doubt that. If the crew member does not like what you are doing on the train they have the right to ask you to stop and if you refuse you'll probably be getting off at the next stop meeting the PD. Just because you are licensed does not make it your right to transmit wherever whenever you want despite what anyone says.

My advice is to keep it low key on the train. Most conductors probably don't care but there are always those few..

by EdM

[
My advice is to keep it low key on the train.

yes, and almost everywhere else also. If you are not in sumkinda uniform and start playing with sumpin that is wierd (like a radio), you are abt to get hasseled.. The level of ignorance of the general public never ceases to astound me, and 911 raised the anti.. Ed

by Wisconsin Railfan

My local Barney Fife would beg to differ. I was waiting for the Downeaster one day not very long ago when he came roaring up in his SUV, did a Starskey and Hutch manuever right in front of three school kids smoking dope in their car, got out, stomped past four shady looking guys in an old Chevy with out of state plates, (its a small town and this type of thing sticks out) and got in my face over my HT. He was absolutely foaming at the mouth. If he had had a taser, I think he would have used it.[/quote]

:P :P :P :P Now that's a funny, thanks for making my day, sorry to hear that you were hassled though... but great story

by cifn2

I would start with the conductor or ticket taker, ask them if it is alright. If you clear it with them first you should have no problems, as opposed to just talking on your radio and possibly getting into trouble.

by Ken W2KB

cifn2 wrote:I would start with the conductor or ticket taker, ask them if it is alright. If you clear it with them first you should have no problems, as opposed to just talking on your radio and possibly getting into trouble.
No need to ask for permission (an unsure employee may take the easy way out and say no putting you in an awkward position.) Amtrak allows the use of personal electronic devices on its trains:

"Personal Electronic Devices

Bring Your Entertainment Onboard

You may bring and use onboard personal electronic devices such as PCs, DVD players, and CD players.

In most Amtrak trains, First Class and Business Class seats and sleepers have standard 110-volt electrical power outlets available to supply power for electronic devices. Very few outlets are available, however, at Coach Class seats.

Be Considerate of Others, Please

To maintain a pleasant environment for all passengers, we require that when using radios, CD players, DVD players, TVs, and all other audio/visual devices, passengers use earphones or headphones, and that the volume be kept low.

Also, in consideration of others, please switch cell phones, electronic watches, pagers, and PCs to silent mode."

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 0080554523

by kitn1mcc

I cary my ht1550XLS on the Shore line east. (mind you the crew knows me)and i use my 2 wire McKay kit that has an Ear/mike coil up the Mike in my pocket and run the ear phone up my back it is Great in the winter with a coat but even if i dont route it under my shirt i never had any one ask about it (yes i am in my Uniform for work at the power company) and i have Also taken it on MNCR like that and never an issue even in the subway tuned to FDNY