• 1969-1970 abandonments?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by SPUI

I'm working on a map of the New Haven as it was when merged into Penn Central, and these maps are my best source for what was around then. Was anything abandoned at the time of merger or soon after, before the 1-18-1970 maps? Thanks.

by kinlock

I have checked out the map against my knowledge base and it looks correct (Connecticut, New York and Cape Cod portions)

Hard to believe that as late as 1970 it was still an almost-intact system. Even had Canal Line into New Haven, Watertown branch, etc.

But then PC didn't have the "license to kill" that Conrail had

...Ken

by RRBUFF

I might suggest "Lost Railroads of New England " by Ronald Dale Karr Branch Line Press. It lists all the railroad abandonments from 1848 to 1994 with maps and history.

by kinlock

Picked up some that might impact"

1968: Washington, RI to Plainfield, CT (former NY&NE)

1968: Falmouth, MA to Woods Hole (former OCRR)

1968: Willimantic, CT to Pomfret, CT (former NY&NE)

1968-02-16: Farmington to end of line 0.25 miles north of Unionville

1968-03-08: 1.90 miles East of Portland to end of switching lead to East Cobalt (former Airline: Willimantic to SS80)

1968-03-31 Valley Railroad Old Saybrook to Laurel (South of Middletown)

1970: Manchester to Willimantic

by SPUI

Thanks. Looks like there were none in 1969 then. Do you know if the 1968 abandonments were part of the Conrail merger process, or were they simply part of ongoing pruning?

by kinlock

Conrail (after 1976) had a different set of rules for abandonments. PC had nothing more than the New Haven had: must submit applications, go through a long series of hearings, etc. Suspect these had been started way before PC

by SPUI

Sorry - I meant the Penn Central merger.
  by dieselbreath

I CHECKED OUT YOUR FIRST DRAFT MAP. I THINK YOU MIGHT WANT TO INCLUDE NARRAGANSETT BAY AS A MAP FEATURE THOUGH, IT TENDS TO MAKE NEWPORT LOOK AS THOUGH IT IS NOT ON AN ISLAND LIKE IT IS. I DIDN'T SEE THE LINE FROM EAST PROVIDENCE, RED BRIDGE TO VALLEY FALLS VIA PAWTUCKET/DARLINGTON. PAUL