• 1967 NYC Excursion Rome-Camden

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYCUticaSyracuse81

I just found out a few days ago while searching for postcards of the New York Central Station at McConnellsville (Now At Erie Canal Village) that in 1967 there was an excursion train between the city of Rome, and the village of Camden circa 1967. I'd love to hear details about the trip if there happens to be anyone on here who was on board. I would also love to see some more pictures if there are any more in existence, other than the what I posted below, courtesy of the CNY Chapter, NRHS Archive Collections. These are some great shots!

http://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... /97/rec/14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... d/91/rec/8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... /95/rec/12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... /96/rec/13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... /98/rec/15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by brockwaythemusician

There are some great shots on that page. Not just of the Rome excursion but from all over central New York. This is a great resource, thanks for posting it.
  by BR&P

brockwaythemusician wrote:There are some great shots on that page. Not just of the Rome excursion but from all over central New York. This is a great resource, thanks for posting it.
  by hojack

I was on the train. I have some Kodachromes of the trip, was probably standing in the gondola in the pic posted passing Bryant's Sand Bed.
I thought I remember two rs-3's on the train, but maybe there was just one. The train was sponsored as part of the 150th anniversary of the City of Rome. Beside the RS-3 or RS-3's, there was one Budd air conditioned coach right behind the engine, then 8 or so commuter cars brought up from probably Harmon, ( the trip was on a Saturday), and two gons for our viewing pleasure. We left Rome mid morning and creaked and swayed the 20 or so miles to Camden nonstop, ( 2 hours ). In Camden we got off at Preston Street by what is now International Wire. There were speeches and proclamation's delivered by elected officials. I can't remember, but there might have been a chicken barbeque involved. The run around was supposed to be in Camden, but someone forgot the length of the siding, which was too short. So they backed the 4 plus miles back to McConnellsville and ran around there. There were a lot of passengers. And those commuter coaches were damn hot on the return trip. My family got off in Camden, much to my protestations. But we did join the whole community of Blossvale to watch and take pictures of the return trip later in the afternoon. I got in trouble for climbing the grade crossing signal to wave at the passing crowd.

Two things I remember. One was the advertising signs along the ceilings of the commuter coaches, Life magazine, Lucky Strikes, Chesterfields, and Wrigley spearmint gum. Also, the train crew let about 30 or more passengers sit on the running boards in front of the cab of the RS-3 the whole trip. I have to dig a picture of that out. I bet those clothes were spotless after sitting on the running board of an Alco for the better part of a sunny, very hot day.

That was the very last passenger train on the Hojack on what was once the RW & O mainline.
  by BR&P

Sure can't see CSX or NS doing something similar today!

And I'll respectfully disagree about the last passenger train on the Hojack. Ontario Midland operated numerous excursions, at various times covering as far east as Hannibal and as far west as Webster. I'm not sure when their last excursion was but I'd guess it was after 2000.
  by tree68

I suspect the captions are wrong on the locomotive - the first RS3 NYC bought was 8223 (later renumbered to 5223). According to what I find for NYC rosters, 5206 would have been an RS-2.
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

hojack wrote:I was on the train. I have some Kodachromes of the trip, was probably standing in the gondola in the pic posted passing Bryant's Sand Bed.
I thought I remember two rs-3's on the train, but maybe there was just one. The train was sponsored as part of the 150th anniversary of the City of Rome. Beside the RS-3 or RS-3's, there was one Budd air conditioned coach right behind the engine, then 8 or so commuter cars brought up from probably Harmon, ( the trip was on a Saturday), and two gons for our viewing pleasure. We left Rome mid morning and creaked and swayed the 20 or so miles to Camden nonstop, ( 2 hours ). In Camden we got off at Preston Street by what is now International Wire. There were speeches and proclamation's delivered by elected officials. I can't remember, but there might have been a chicken barbeque involved. The run around was supposed to be in Camden, but someone forgot the length of the siding, which was too short. So they backed the 4 plus miles back to McConnellsville and ran around there. There were a lot of passengers. And those commuter coaches were damn hot on the return trip. My family got off in Camden, much to my protestations. But we did join the whole community of Blossvale to watch and take pictures of the return trip later in the afternoon. I got in trouble for climbing the grade crossing signal to wave at the passing crowd.

Two things I remember. One was the advertising signs along the ceilings of the commuter coaches, Life magazine, Lucky Strikes, Chesterfields, and Wrigley spearmint gum. Also, the train crew let about 30 or more passengers sit on the running boards in front of the cab of the RS-3 the whole trip. I have to dig a picture of that out. I bet those clothes were spotless after sitting on the running board of an Alco for the better part of a sunny, very hot day.

That was the very last passenger train on the Hojack on what was once the RW & O mainline.
Wow! That's probably the coolest thing I've ever heard! I've explored a lot of the old right-of-way between Rome and Richlad, particularly between Rome and Camden. Unfortunately most of it is posted, but I have a good idea from online satellites images. The rails on the Fish Creek bridge at trestle Road are still in place, and I recently discovered a siding, and rails in pavement at Bones Rd., where the McConnellsville depot was. What I've been stumped on is how the tracks crossed Meadows road near Oswego road. It looks as though there must have been a bridge perhaps two, where the road horseshoes around, and a grade crossing further down near rt. 69. Also trying to figure out where exactly the Blossvale station was situation. Thank you so much for posting this awesome recollection. Please consider posting those pictures on Railpictures.net or something, as I'd love to see them!!!

I have a lot of rare postcards, but not this one. The previous owner kindly sent me a copy. I want this one !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97630304@ ... ed-public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again, cnyrailroadnut