• 1954 Reading Company Freight Shippers' Guide now online!

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by Tom Jacobs

:P Hello everyone!

I'm happy to announce that the first online edition of the 1954 Reading Company Freight Shippers' Guide is now up and running on The Reading Modeler! At this point, it does not include metro Philadelphia area information, but that is in process, as is Ironton and PRSL info.

You can access the Guide at www.readinglayout.com. Your comments and feedback would be most appreciated!

Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readinglayout.com

by Franklin Gowen

Tom,

Thank you for posting that notice to our forum. You've done a tremendous service for those seeking data concerning freight shippers' locations on the Reading's many branches. Well done!

For those who are unfamiliar with the official 1954 document in question, it is an outstandingly valuable resource. Original copies of it are sufficiently rare as to keep it unavailable to a wider audiance - until now! Surely most of them reside only in the archives of "$eriou$ collector$" ( :-D ) , making widespread viewing of it impossible. This is the first time I have heard of any Reading fan successfully re-typing (or "OCR"-ing?) the data and uploading it for online viewing. We are all richer because of your hard work...thank you.
  by jrevans

I agree! Thanks for your hard work in getting this data into an accessible format on the computer.

I enjoyed going through a few cities and seeing what the customers were. It's almost hard for me to imagine so many companies using rail service.