• 10 Hours Undisturbed Rest

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by UPRR engineer

What is it that got you going? What i said before about how guys use there time off is the truth. 10 hours would do a guy good who gets there rest like they should, as for the rest, it would just make coming to work that much harder, life as a railroader. Contract switching is nothing like being on a pool or extra board. You have heard the stories steam, you have no idea what its like.

by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:What is it that got you going? What i said before about how guys use there time off is the truth. 10 hours would do a guy good who gets there rest like they should, as for the rest, it would just make coming to work that much harder, life as a railroader. Contract switching is nothing like being on a pool or extra board. You have heard the stories steam, you have no idea what its like.
This reminds me of the stance the Penn Central guys used to take where I work: You didn't work for the Penn? Then you didn't really work for the railroad.

Biggest isn't always best.

You think you're the only person on this site who's worked the board?? I've probably got more time working extra than you've got on the RR. And I've got 21 years service before you even ask. And 21 years isn't much. I've worked with guys with over 50 years.

by UPRR engineer

thebigc wrote:

You think you're the only person on this site who's worked the board?? I've probably got more time working extra than you've got on the RR. And I've got 21 years service before you even ask. And 21 years isn't much. I've worked with guys with over 50 years.
I never said anything about the UP, exept at the start of this topic, or that i was the only guy to work an extra board. Contract switchers dont work like we do.

by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:
thebigc wrote:

I never said anything about the UP, exept at the start of this topic, or that i was the only guy to work an extra board. Contract switchers dont work like we do.
The UP or whatever outfit you and I work for isn't the point. Just don't dismiss someone else's outfit or experience because it ain't as big as yours.

Big or small, we still got 4'8-1/2" between the rails on a good day and bosses who always think they can run the outfit without/better than us.

by steam371

should take your own advice

by GOLDEN-ARM

Probably not a good idea to speak for contract employees. I work for the biggest one there is, from time to time, and when I get an assignment, it is 7 days a week, on an extra board, or on the 16 hour job, that no one else wants. (yes, 16 hours. 12 on duty, 4 more, waiting for the limo ride home) I have worked for the largest (UP) and for some of the smallest (the original M&E), and they are all the same. The throttle pulls the same on the UP, as it did on the RVRR. The hours are miserable on most of the roads. I get a flat salary, when contracting. How do you think those 16 hour days look, at the end of the day ? I would make more, by hiring out. I go out and "start-up" new railroads, and we run ALL of the trains, every day, until enough people are hired, tested, trained and then qualified, to do our work. You are right, contract switchers don't work like you, they work more hours, on more roads, using more equipment, and rule books, than you will ever imagine !!! :-D I got 4 GCOR tests, this year already, and work 80-90 hours a week, every week. Days off ? There is no-one to take my place. If I sign a contract, I have to work, no matter what, or I lose the pay. This is nothing compared to working UP. I ONLY have 23 years working on the railroad, and I am still not even close, to being an old head. maybe in another 23........Everyones experience is relevent, to where they work. I wouldn't knock anyone, anywhere, doing this job. Bigger and better do NOT go hand-in-hand, in this case. Regards..... :wink:

by UPRR engineer

I was a contract switcher for 4 1/2 years, i know all about it. I was a salary employee for the last 3 years or so, it sucked. I didnt know when i was gonna get home but i knew when i had to show up, thats not anything like being called on your rest day after day sometimes for weeks on end with no days off. I wasnt trying to knock anyone, steam saying what he said about me, without really knowing what it was like to work on a board and be on call was stupid. Contracting and railroading is like day and night, two totally different types of a work enviroments. I wasnt bashing you steam, ive been there buddy, contract switching is tough dangerous work, the railroads hate to switch those plants and thats why they contract out the work. With days off and knowing when you had to show up (most of the time) getting your rest was never really a problem for anyone i used to work with, most of the time, derailments, motor problems, guys getting hurt and what not....caused some serous overtime and long hours but after a few days things go back to normal, been there before. They do what ever they want and it sucks, i wished the FRA had control of contract switchers, things would be alot better.

by GOLDEN-ARM

UPRR, you must be a little confused, regarding the term "contract employee". Sure, there are some small, industrial plants that have contracted labor, not paying into RRB, and not under the jurisdiction of the FRA. EVERY contract job I work, is with a class-1, or class-2 carrier. We are paying into RRB, while contracting, and my license(s) are FRA licenses. I am currently working 80-90 hours a week, so I don't "feel your pain", regarding the extra board. (I probably also have more time on the extra board, than you have total, on the railroad, like steam.) Most properties we work on are jobs on the extra board. Unless it is a "start-up", then we run the trains, around the clock, with generally 1/4 the amount of men that will cover the assignments, once hired & qualified. All contractors are not employed by Econorail (no bad thoiughts towards them intended), and we do not work without RRB benefits, and FRA authority on our properties. (UP hires our employees, both as trainers, and to fill slots, where there is a lack of qualified employees), as well as several other class-1 properties, as well as the 3 largest shortline holding companies in the US, plus multiple regional carriers. Lets all agree that the folks running the trains, no matter where they might be, have all "paid their dues", in one form, or another. To put down someone, because you feel they are "only a contractor", is laughable. (who do you think gave you your RCL training ?) As a matter of fact, our company put together the program, with the FRA, that gives you your license, today. Our company LITERALLY wrote the book, on engineer certification, for & with, the FRA, so LIGHTEN-UP a little, okay "brother" ? Regards.... :wink:

by UPRR engineer

As with most topics on here, this one has became twisted and fell off subject and derailed. Contract Switching outfits have no rest rules what so ever, i was under the impression thats what steam did for a living. His work enviroment is totally different than someone who works under the FRA rest rules (class 1 to shortlines). I dont look down on anyone doing contract work, a job is a job, to each his own. If anyone was getting put down it was me, i was laughing then.

Golden Arm i understanding what contract employees do.

Im not alone thinking that the point of coming to work is make money, everyone in my division voted no to 10 hours off because of the money. We lay off when we have had enough. I still havent heard just what the big picture was of giving 10 hours off was for. Was it for sleep between trips or more time off for other things. From a safety stand point guys that got as much sleep as they could would get even more, and the guys that didnt, would just come to work more tired because they were off doing other things.

by jg greenwood

UPRR engineer wrote:As with most topics on here, this one has became twisted and fell off subject and derailed. Contract Switching outfits have no rest rules what so ever, i was under the impression thats what steam did for a living. His work enviroment is totally different than someone who works under the FRA rest rules (class 1 to shortlines). I dont look down on anyone doing contract work, a job is a job, to each his own. If anyone was getting put down it was me, i was laughing then.

Golden Arm i understanding what contract employees do.

Im not alone thinking that the point of coming to work is make money, everyone in my division voted no to 10 hours off because of the money. We lay off when we have had enough. I still havent heard just what the big picture was of giving 10 hours off was for. Was it for sleep between trips or more time off for other things. From a safety stand point guys that got as much sleep as they could would get even more, and the guys that didnt, would just come to work more tired because they were off doing other things.
Man I'm having one hell of a time following your logic! We ALL show up each day for the $. The big picture is an adequate amount of rest. This subject isn't, and won't go anywhere because you're oblivious to the concept of the additional rest. Obtuse?

by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm done with this one, too. UPRR obviously missed the part, where I informed him we are carrying the same license as him, and subject to the same hours of service rules as him. He also missed the part where I informed him the company I work for piloted the locomotive engineer certification process. I suspect he might have worked for some little grain mill/chemical plant, whatever, and is equating his experience in that one single job, to ALL contracted railroad employees. Sad, but my previous post could not have been any clearer. Gotta run, as I need my Federally mandated 8 hours rest, before returning to contracted duty. (SIGH.... :( ) Regards.... :wink:

by LCJ

I don't think he's confused, or obtuse, at all. He worked for Railserve, a third party contract switching company. That's what he means by a "contract switcher."

Everyone relates to the world in terms of their own experience. He's giving you guys a look at his way of looking at things -- while not saying yours isn't also valid.

by jg greenwood

LCJ wrote:I don't think he's confused, or obtuse, at all. He worked for Railserve, a third party contract switching company. That's what he means by a "contract switcher."

Everyone relates to the world in terms of their own experience. He's giving you guys a look at his way of looking at things -- while not saying yours isn't also valid.
Then by all means Mr. LCJ, continue. It's all yours.

by UPRR engineer

Thanks LCJ, i should have explained what i ment by contract switcher better, Golden Arm i understand what it is you do , two totally different things. I was as confused with you when you jumped in as you were with me. Sorry about that mess, steam called his job a switching railroad, i call it a contract switcher, with the proper name being third party switching, i should have said it at the start. There are no rules in third party switching, no FRA, no licenses, no rest rule, its slave switching. I wasnt stereo typing railroad contractors in general like you thought i was. I can see why you were trying to prove your point now buddy, sorry about the mess, i couldnt figure out why you were telling me all about you job, which i already knew. My retired MOP does the same thing. Pretty funny...
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by steam371

Let me clarify something, I work for a shortline. Sorry if anyone got confused.We have 10 rest clause, 8 hr rest guarenteed if you will, and 2 hr call. We have a spareboard or extra board, and I spent the last 7 months of my short RR career on it. I've recently been able to sign 10 jobs out of 10 weeks. So i think i know a little about riding the spare board and 4 hr turns. Back to the original forum topic, why fight a mandatory 10 rest? to be greedy, ? we all go to work for money, however, it is in the best interest of all individuals involved if their co-worker has had some what of a rest period. we have fellows who, as implied earlier, come to work with little rest because they went out to party or cut their grass etc, and they were pulled aside by the old timers to get their priorities in order so they could function at work. its not an easy job to do, is working with little sleep an aspect of the job, maybe, but why fight something thats gonna get you more sack time or family time.