• Long Island Rail Road truck decals

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

Long Island Rail Road truck decals:

Great Decals! is considering producing decals for Long Island Rail Road trucks at least in HO-scale. Inspired by Nick Kalis this project by providing this picture:

But there are issues:
1) What's the other side look like? (e. g., which way does that stripe go?)
2) What's the back look like?
3) It looks like the front has no markings, is that right?
Any help you can provide would bring this project closer to fruition. Thanks.

I will pass the responses along to Great Decals! Thanks
  by LIengineerBob

What a GREAT (non pun intended) decal idea. The cab itself appears to have (maybe) gold, possibly yellow, pin striping all over it, and there is definitely some type of logo on the door, along with a number (maybe white). Looking at the cargo box, there appears to be something under the running lights on the front of the cargo box, this may be the box manufacturers logo, or something else entirely, like a fleet number. Both truck have it. You would need another photo to positively know what the other side looks like. It the decoration ran the same way as this side shown......it wouldn't look right.....I am thinking (and ALOT of trucking logos of the period were done the same way), it was reversed. Who knows about the back....but again, judging by OTHER trucking photos of the period, alot of the rear ends were left blank, or had maybe a fleet number on it.

I think some "guesstimates" would be acceptable here......it's so obscure, one would be hard pressed to know what was correct. It would definitely make an interesting model.

And the cab is an International...for those interested.
  by Backshophoss

2 possibiltys,1,the paint was "mirrored" on the other side,with the lettering "reversed" to be readable(likey),
2,the scheme was done the same way on the passenger side with the stripe rising from the tailgate to the cab(unlikely).
Roll up doors were not in use on box trucks yet,a smaller version of the Logo was might have been done on the tailgate doors.
May have had reflector "buttons" at floor level at tailgate.
  by MACTRAXX

NyandW: Another thought: Did Great Decals make decals for the Road and Rail Buses?

If this question was previously answered or posted please direct me...

I also like this idea for LIRR delivery truck decals...

MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:NyandW: Another thought: Did Great Decals make decals for the Road and Rail Buses? If this question was previously answered or posted please direct me... I also like this idea for LIRR delivery truck decals... MACTRAXX
No... only the Van Interstine tank car decals as best I know.
  by LIengineerBob

The "Road-N-Rail" buses would be another GREAT Decal addition as well. There are certainly more photos of them floating around then the delivery truck.